Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagirl_gw

Russian Cypress

pagirl
17 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with Microbiota Decussata (Russian Cypress). Growth rate?? Thanks.

Comments (12)

• pineresin
    17 years ago

Fairly slow growth, maybe 10-20cm horizontally per year.

Resin

• basic
    17 years ago

I would agree with Resin that 4"-8" inches/year growth can be expected, but if its happy you could realistically see growth closer to the high end, at least during the first few years after establishment. I planted a very small container grown plant in spring of 2000 that grew slowly the first couple of years, but then put on about 1' per year horizontal growth the next two years. It has resumed a more typical growth pattern, and is now about 8' diameter. This is a first rate plant IMHO, and I much prefer it over the low growing Junipers. Mine is spilling over a low wall and I couldn't be happier with it. It's growing in decent well-drained soil with full sun.

• lucygreenthumb
    17 years ago

So, to slightly change the topic what should I have done differently with mine?

It was in a raised bed with good well-drained soil, part shade although it shared that area of the garden with a very water-greedy gray poplar.

It did well the first summer, but didn't make it through the (zone 4/5) winter. I liked it, but I've never been sure how I killed it. Was the site was too dry, the winter too cold? I didn't see any obvious signs of disease or pests.

I know that's probably not enough information, but I'd like to try another if I can learn from my mistake.

Many Thanks!
    Lucy

• basic
    17 years ago

Lucy,

I don't have the answer(s) you're looking for, but there does seem to be a misconception that Russian Cypress likes shade. I'm not sure I'd agree with that, and it (along with root competition from the Poplar) might be at least part of the problem. I think I'd try again.

{{gwi:683781}}

• pineresin
    17 years ago

Photos of it in the wild show it growing in full sun on stony mountainside scree. No competition with other plants to speak of.

Resin

• pagirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the information and the photo. I think I am going to give it a try. It looks so much nicer than the ground hugging junipers.

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    17 years ago

Anyone have propagation experience?
    I have a specimen showing variegation- want to isolate.

I hope the exposure indications here aren't totally on target. Looks like sun damage on the variegated parts and this is less likel to occur in part sun...
    {{gwi:683782}}

• wbgarden
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    my Microbiota Dec. about 30 years old - I. picture. By the way Microbiota went to the other world from Russia through near my house arboretum Nove Dvory / I mean 1953 / - oldest one non Russian is situated there...
    {{gwi:683783}}
    Dwarf microbiota - Microbiota dec. Jacobsen - about 8 years old.
    {{gwi:683784}}
    As to propagation, normal cutting is optional...
    Jan wbgarden

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf conifers an witch´s broom gallery...

• pineresin
    17 years ago

Hi Jan,

One of the cases where you were lucky to be on the east side of the old Iron Curtain. Microbiota didn't reach Britain until the early 1980s, and North America presumably about the same time.

Resin

• lucygreenthumb
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info, basic. I had believed it was supposed to be one of the few conifers that liked shade - rats!

Now given it's origin how does this plant feel about full sun and humid summer heat?

I absolutely LOVE the photo of the russian cypress in front of the other conifers in wbgarden's pic. I'd like to 'duplicate' that look, but my other conifers are mostly on the hot west side of the house. I won't want to try the backyard's partial shade again until the neighbor takes down her poplar.

Thanks ALL! I'll be away from my computer until Monday - so please understand if I don't reply right away.

• bogturtle
    17 years ago

Mine struggled in the shade but stayed a fine green most of the year. Almost no growth. Moved it to a brightly lit spot and it was totally decimated by the local rabbit, or maybe deer. Almost dead now, with one green shoot and a wire cage. A shame.

• wbgarden
    17 years ago

Hi Resin, 46 years I spent on the not so good side of Iron Curtain. Can you realize it ?
    But another picture of old microbiota on left side and Pinus dens. Alice Verkade on the right.
    Jan wbgarden

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf conifers hunt....

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting