Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daysquid

Pinus Niagara Falls or ???

daysquid
10 years ago

I live in 7a, I have a slope, get sun from 1-6 (some filterered in the AM through tall trees), and I want some wowwy weeping evergreen as focal point. I'm considering Pinus Niagara Falls. I want something 3'-5' with a spread of about 6'-8'. It can be blue or green. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (17)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey

any of the Pinus STROBUS pendula clan.. will grow to whatever height you train them.. and then right back down ...

its diameter.. will be a function of you and your pruning shears..

conifer size estimates are at 10 years ... and they are usually twice as big at 20 years.. unless you prune them ... we would rather you get 10 years of bliss.. and kill it.. rather than suggest you go for the more common stuff ....

we can teach you all about pruning .. later..

ken

• daysquid
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And I'll need that pruning help...
    Any specific Pinus Strobus pendula that you think is a real gem? I also saw weeping hemlock, Feelin' Blue Deodar Cedar, and Colorado Blue Spruce. I'm an absolute novice and I only have room for this one confier so I want it to be stunning.

• daysquid
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Weeping Hemlock, Blue Atlas Cedar and the Weeping Pines all look good. Ugh. I have a 40% coupon that is only good for today. Decisions, decisions. I have to make it a good one.

10 years ago

why is there a 10 next to your name.. but then you tell us 7a???

where are you.. change that 10 to a big city on your members page..

i dont know geographic requirements well enough to opine ...

i dont know if you want hemlock east of the APPALACHIAN mountains.???

i dont know why you would need two weeping pines..

BACedar.. it died for me in z5.. so i hate you .. if you can grow it.. lol ..

ken

• ricksample
    10 years ago

Get a weeping pine such as Pinus strobus 'Niagara Falls' or Pinus strobus 'Angel Falls'. I had a Cedrus deodara 'feelin blue' and didn't care to much for it.

• daysquid
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just revised my zone to 7a. And sorry for the confusion. I'm only looking to buy one conifer -- and I want a weeping. And I only have space for one. I was strongly considering Pinus strobus 'Niagara Falls' but then I had second thoughts and started to like weeping hemlock or Blue Atlas Cedar. Rick and Ken, thanks for your comments! Much appreciated.

10 years ago

oh.. i though you got the strobus.. and as a reward.. got the coupon..

the blue atlas will get real large.. too lazy to look at the facts.. bit werent you working with a small space??

ken

• daysquid
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes. Smaller space. Pinus niagara falls is in my cart but still walking the nursery.

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Pinus strobus 'Angel Falls'.

{{gwi:683967}}

Dave

• daysquid
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave that Pinus Strobus 'Angel Falls' is beautiful. I purchased the 'Niagara Falls' and am thrilled. Your picture is great confirmation.

I can't wait to get in the ground but I am a little nervous about my abilities to care for it. I just have a lot to learn. I am sure I'll be posting questions. Any specific planting instructions or initial watering? Things to consider when planting it on a slope?

• daysquid
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm posting again because I'm so excited about my new purchase -- it brings me great joy to look at 'Niagara Falls'. And it is nice to express that joy to folks that know the feeling...

• Garen Rees
    10 years ago

Congratulations!

Pinus strobus 'Niagara Falls' is a nice one. I was having trouble deciding between the two last year. I had both plants sitting side by side at the nursery. I think I pondered and stared at them for over an hour, ha ha. I ended up getting the 'Angel Falls' because the shape fit the location in my yard perfectly and it was cheaper. They are both great. I think you made a great choice if you were wanting something that is a little more spreading depending if you stake it or not. The ones that I have seen unstaked usually have two leaders growing in opposite directions at a 45 degree angle. 'Niagara Falls' is nicely dense and bushy with shorter needles that have a very attractive blue green color. A better color than 'Angel Falls'. Their forms are just so different and both are beautiful in their own way.

Post a photo when it arrives. Yipee! =)

• Garen Rees
    10 years ago

I plant just about everything in my yard on a slope. There's not really anything that I would suggest to do differently except make sure that you mulch it or position some rocks to keep the soil from washing away. Others may have better knowledgeable advice about slopes. Otherwise just make sure it's not root bound, gently splay the roots and plop it in the ground. water it in real good so that the soil fills in around the roots nicely and then do the finger test every once in a while to make sure the soil doesn't dry out. Stick your finger in the soil. If it's damp don't water, if it's dry give it a little drink. After the first year don't worry about it unless there is a drought.

Next you need to add a few mini conifers =)

• daysquid
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks garen59 for your shared enthusiasm. And my apolgies for not posting sooner. I'll get the picture soon. I enjoyed that you also ponder, and ponder, and ponder these decisions. Nothing like a plant purchase to make you feel neurotic.

And yes. I think I need to add a few mini conifers. Any suggestions?

• Fiddlegal08
    10 years ago

Daysquid, you remind me of... me! I got infected with coniferitis a few years ago. Give in to it. Get something yellow. My latest acquisition is Picea abies 'Gold Drift'. It turns yellow where the sun hits it. Can't wait to get it in the ground!

• Garen Rees
    10 years ago

Fiddlegal08, Oh man, that is a nice one! I am jealous of your yard. I have a little clone of Picea abies 'Summer Daze' from the parents of Picea abies 'Gold Drift' and Picea abies 'Acrocona'. Love those gold weepers.

A few suggestions for some stand out mini's. Most of these do require a little shade

Abies koreana 'Kohout's Icebreaker' - For eye popping white and unique curled needles

Abies procera 'Blaue Hexe' - For wonderful blue

Picea orientalis 'Tom Thumb Gold' - For excellent gold

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' - For blue and gold

Pinus parviflora 'Tanima No Yuki' - For cute little pink candles (New growth on pines just before needles push out) and white needles.

Pinus mugo 'Jakobsen' - For dark green and twisted clumpy look

Picea glauca 'Pixie Dust' - For a perfect mini cone shaped Alberta spruce that flushes bright yellow new growth contrasting against green old growth. Looks like it was dusted with pixie dust.

I could probably go on forever. There are so many great ones. Gotta catch em all lol.

• daysquid
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fiddlegal08, very nice indeed. Thanks for the pictures. And the inspiration! I guess I'll gear up for more neurotic episodes.

And now that garen59 has now offered up new specimans for me to cuddle up with google images -- the illness continues. At least two of my neighbors are trying to educate my husband on my illness. He asked for an intervention but these neighbors seem to be feeding on the frenzy. No intervention is in sight.