Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soonergrandmom

Wind Break Tree

soonergrandmom
11 years ago

I need to plant wind break pine trees along a property line and would love to plant a seed producer like Korean Pine. The location is in far north Oklahoma (north of Tulsa). Rainfall is good but mostly falls in the winter and spring with long dry hot summers. Is this a poor choice. I will be planting a lot of these, so would it be better to plant something else, and only mix in a few Korean Pines?

Comments (9)

• scotjute Z8
    11 years ago

Not familiar enough with Korean Pine to comment on it. Eastern Red Cedar would most likely succeed there if you need an alternative tree. What is the annual rainfall there and is your soil acidic or alkaline?

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Eastern Red Cedar is not an option. They are an invasive weed tree in our area, an extreme fire hazard, and there may soon be a requirement to remove them all over the State. Our State University just set aside about a half million dollars to remove them from all of their land holdings.

I don't yet know about the PH of the soil. It is acidic where I live, but we are planting the trees at my son's house and I don't think the soil has been tested. I have planted a few trees there and the soil looks fantastic. He is surrounded by farms growing wheat and soybeans.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

wind breaks.. by definition.. are soil conservation..

see link.. find your county office.. is your federal tax money at work.. USE IT ...

CONTACT THEM ...

many states [but not all] offer bulk seedling trees.. at the appropriate planting time .. cheap ... but you may have missed that opportunity for this spring ..... as MI just delivered theirs... perhaps they will have a fall sale.. if any ...

i am heartened to see OK hates the Eastern cedar as much as i do.. i get tired of some peeps here.. recommending them.. because they are native.. i mean really native or not.. they are the bane of my existence ..

if nothing else.. the soil conservation peeps ought to have lists specific to OK.. of plants that will work ....

let us know what they suggest....

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• soonergrandmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We tried to order pine trees from the State nursery this year but they had already run out of the ones we wanted. I only know of the Spring distribution, but will check on Fall availability. Since I had missed that window of opportunity, I was thinking of buying elsewhere, and had hoped to grow something with edible nuts, although I realize they take years to produce. Thanks for you answer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma Forestry Nursery

• texjagman
    11 years ago

I've lived north of Bartlesville and now several years in the OK City area. Your soil will be fine. Your real issue is the heat. You would be lucky at best growing Korean pines in Oklahoma. They do not do well in our extreme summer heat.

You also have to take great care fighting against the wilt issue here in Oklahoma. You might get a few years but if the summer heat continues to stress the trees as it has the last 3 years, then the wilt will strike your trees at a younger and younger age.

So my suggestion would be if these trees are going to be out in the open and in full wind and heat, you stick with the trusted pines.....loblolly and ponderosa. They aren't the most prized or beautiful, but they will grow for sure, are resistant to pine wilt, and grow very quickly.

Mark

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Hi Sooner,

Looking at what your forest service offers, they are not recommending soft (5-needled) pines such as koraiensis. Let me ask, do you see Pinus strobus in the area where your son lives? If so, Pinus koraiensis will do fine.

What your forest does offer fits into three subsections of how pines are broken into (similarity). I will list what each includes, however, winter-hardiness may be an issue therefore you'll have to research that on your own.

Subsection Taeda includes:
    palustris, taeda, echinata, glabra, rigida, serotina, pungens, elliotti, densa, caribaea, occidentalis, cubensis.

Subsection Ponderosae includes:
    ponderosa, arizonica, engelmannii, durangensis, jeffreyi, washoensis, coulteri, sabiniana, torreyana, montezumae, rudis, cooperi, hartwegiii, devoniana, wincesteriana, peudostrobus, estevsii, oaxacana, apulcensis, douglasiana, maximioi.

Your forest service includes Pinus virginaiana, and that is Subsection Contortae:
    contorta, banksiana, virginiana, clausa.

And off my hat I would include these as doing o.k.:
    heldreichii syn. leucodermis, densiflora, resinosa.

Rushforth, Keith âÂÂConifersâ (1987); First published in the United States in 1987 by Facts On File, Inc., 460 Park Avenue South, New York, New York 10016; ISBN: 0-8160-1735-2.

You'll still have to wait for an expert to chime in and that is a fella on here with the handle, "Resin."

-----
    Dax

• j0nd03
    11 years ago

If you don't mind a drive, I know the Arkansas Forestry Commission sells seedlings to out of staters (unlike Oklahoma which only sells to residents of the state last time I looked). They still have 3 star loblolly (the best growth of any of their seedlings) in stock on their website. Worth a call for cheap bulk of quality trees. The loblolly are extending their candles here, so I wouldn't think you are too far behind and the time to plant is now if you want to do it this year.

John

ps- they don't ship their seedlings so you would have to pick them up at the nearest cooler location which is in Fayetteville.

Here is a link that might be useful: AFC

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 12:50

• ogcon
    11 years ago

I imagine your consideration of koriensis has to do with
    the etables.Didn't see anyone mention P.monophyla.Not
    aware of a dependable source currently but as tough of a fast-grower(moderate) as I can think of.......easy to look at too.Doug

• scotjute Z8
    11 years ago

If the soil is acidic, my recommendation would be for short-leaf pine (-18 F tolerance), altho loblolly (-8F)might still be ok.
    After Ashe Juniper and Eastern Red Cedar, Arizona Cypress has been used quite successfully down here as a wind-break and ornamental tree. It is very drought resistant after establishment.
    Would think you will have a hard time getting anything established this time of year if bare-root. Assume you plan on watering for 2 years to get them established?
    Have observed first-hand ERC going up in flames. It takes 2-3 minutes from a grass-fire til entire tree is flaming. Don't know how other conifers would react.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996