Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you do?

Posted by drdna 4b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 13:14

I'm going to have a problem. When I built my house, I planted this Pinus nigra just beside a young Tsuga canadensis seedling that I didn't see at that time(on the left) Now, both are getting bigger and bigger each year and I'm gonna have to make a decision soon. I know that at somme point I'm going to limb up a bit that pine so I can walk underneath, plus I like to see the bark.. but even then, the tsuga is already too big to unearth and move to another location. They're soon gonna be in each other's way. I heard that tsuga takes pruning quite well, would it be a good idea to prune it to a denser somewhat globose shape and keep it restrained that way. I also know that austrian pines have a tendancy to get sick, if that happens in the future then I could set free my tsuga..Does that make sense?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you do?

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 13:23

That Tsuga looks pretty small to me. I'd suggest pruning it back early next spring or just tie rope around it to bring in the branches to make it easier to transplant. It just seems like a awkward position for it right now.

Depending on where you are I would cut down the A. nigra in a heartbeat and salvage the Hemlock.

o

I can't believe I mistook left for right on the picture.

whaas, I'm a z4b in Quebec, 30 miles north of Montreal, is my pine doomed? That Tsuga may seem small to you but where I live is what old folks would call "Cain's land"...Underneath 2-3 inches of top soil, all you can find digging is stones and more stones for those roots to get tangled in and around...not an easy task!

o

see link.. do you want it that close to that garage??

if hemlock is rootable.. then root some pieces .... and get rid of the one that is TOO CLOSE TO THE GARAGE

ken

copy/paste this:

http://www.naturekind.org/imgs/kcn2/r/Pinaceae_Tsuga_canadensis_3208.html

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Even I think that hemlock is going to grow too large for that location. Too bad digging is so hard there. This may be one of the few situations where the best bet is to do some pruning on it. You could keep it small for a long time by nipping the candles as they form. Just a thought......

+oM

o

Talk about coincidence!..I went to take a look around my trees today(as I do almost everyday) and something caught my attention on that Pinus nigra and I took a picture of it. Something bad?? What does it look like??

Dan

Photobucket

o

Sapsucker of some sort.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Drill bits

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sun, May 6, 12 at 12:02

Sapsuckers for sure. They have killed numerous trees in my garden.
They eventually killed this large Cedrus deodara.
Mike
Sapsucker damage

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here