Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garen59

Lysimachia nummularia âAureaâ Creeping Jenny and small conife

Garen Rees
11 years ago

I planted quite a few little plugs of this in my garden about 2 years ago and it really took to growing last year. It spread out as a nice bright yellow ground cover just as I wanted. It even does okay in full sun. Recently I have read quite a few very bad reviews about this plant, that it is an incredibly invasive weed, hard to kill, and it's root system will choke out surrounding plants.

This concerns me as I have black mondo grass, a Japanese maple, and miniature/dwarf conifers swimming in it. I like the nice gold carpet around these plants but should I be worried about the Creeping Jenny's roots choking out my tiny conifers? Will this turn into the monster plant that takes over everything even the the grass like I've read? Should I try to get rid of it with roundup and replace it with Juniperus horizontalis 'Mother Lode' or should I not worry so much and enjoy it?

I really respect the opinions and expertise of all the people here more so than anything I would read elsewhere. I do remember seeing Creeping Jenny planted in Dan's beautiful garden a long time ago. Dan, if your still around let me know what you think and I'm also itching for some new photos of your yard this spring.

Thanks!!!

This post was edited by garen59 on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 13:57

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES