Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ospreynn

Cupressus arizonica and its relatives!!

ospreynn
12 years ago

Hi guys, been out for quite a while now... not that I forgot about conifers, the collection is still growing..

Now I'm trying to collect most of California Cupressus natives... Here is my question, once upon a time, there was only C. arizonica, but now several species have been separated or proved to be different... which are those. Some that I know:

C. glabra

C. montana

C. nevadensis

C. stephensonnii

C. revealiana???

C. stephensonnii

Thanks

osprey

Comments (8)

• scotjute Z8
    12 years ago

And C. Arizonica is being applied to the rough-bark version of Arizona Cypress. This is only native to sw Arizona and Big Bend National Park Tx. in the United States. Does not make it to California that I have seen documented. Seems like it should be in New Mexico but have not seen it documented.

• georgeinbandonoregon
    12 years ago

the current arrangement (at least in john grimshaws book "new trees") is to regard glabra, stephensonii, montana, and nevadensis as varieties of c. arizonica (never heard of the other plant you mentioned BTW and FWIW). of course don't know if the western cypressus are still cypresses (sensu latu) or now maybe "hesperocyparis"---sensu stricta (excuse the spelling please)????

• pineresin
    12 years ago

"This is only native to sw Arizona and Big Bend National Park Tx. in the United States"

Also fairly widely in northern Mexico, like this one near the Coahuila - Nuevo Leon border:
    {{gwi:684179}}

"the current arrangement (at least in john grimshaws book "new trees")"

Unfortunately, Grimshaw is out of date there; Osprey's list is correct (apart from a typo in C. stephensonii ;-), they're all separate species now, and not all each other's closest relatives, either.

"of course don't know if the western cypressus are still cypresses (sensu latu) or now maybe "hesperocyparis"---"

Best all treated within Cupressus as a single genus (see e.g. Christenhusz et al. 2011. A new classification and linear sequence of extant gymnosperms. Phytotaxa 19:55-70).

Resin

• georgeinbandonoregon
    12 years ago

how sad about how quickly Mr. Grimshaw (or at least the sources he followed) became obsolete---how foolish it was for me to "trust" him. oh well, such is the pace of taxonomic progress....

• ospreynn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you guys, I have C. arizonica from Arizona and also from Sierra Madre Oriental. I'll plant them next week, one next to the other to see the difference. Both are the same age...
    So, is revelealiana a species or just plain stephensonii? Also, you mention they are not closest relatives.. are they now consider very different?
    George, I've seen all kind of names to this species, that is why I decided to ask here. Most just consider them as C. arizonica, even C. glabra.
    scotjute, I have yet to see one C. arizonica in NM... I'm sure they may be some in the Gilas....

osprey

• shastensis
    12 years ago

Cupressus revealiana is almost certainly a separate species, no longer treated as stephensonii. I have only seen it in UC DAVIS arboretum, but it is easily distinguishable from stephensonii - it has smaller cones and the cones are attached to individual shoots that are about an inch or less long. It is only known from a small area off of hwy 3, which travels south east from Ensenada in Baja California. I was hoping tp make it there when I was in Baja in feb but was told the area is much too dangerous (lots of kidnappings).

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

I have

c abramsiana
    c goveniana
    c macnabiana
    c macrocarpa from seed collected in CA

• georgeinbandonoregon
    12 years ago

Shastensis, are you refering to the various cypress that are planted along the lake/large pond in the mexican section planting or the ones on the other side of the pathway in the same section??? have never seen any signs on any of the cypresses----either i'm blind or they have been removed/stolen assuming they were ever there in the first place.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals