Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsroc

What else can I plant with a medium height?`

lindsroc
11 years ago

So this is how the bed is coming along. The one on the far left, the trunk is a little crooked so I just cant for the life of my get this tree to look straight. In the front we planted some creeping phlox and we also planted a Gold Thread Cypress Chamaecyparis pisfera Filifera Aurea Nana and a Blue Star Juniper. I am trying to find some "fill" plants now as I am sure it will take a while for the spruce etc to fill in the space. I was thinking a couple of large hostas in the front. What other evergreens/conifers could I plant in this space that would help fill it in and grow to just a small-medium height of a few feet?
This is what I have in there
1. Ivonne False Cypress. Chamaecyparis lawsoniana Ivonne
2. Baby Blue Spruce. Picea Pungens Baby Blue.
3. Thuja Emerald Green Smargard
4. Boulevard Cypress. Chamaecyparis pisifera Boulevard
5. Gold Thread Cypress. Chamaecyparis pisfera Filifera Aurea Nana
6. Sky Pencil Japanese Holly.

Comments (13)

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Front view... I forgot we also planted a Sedum rupestre âÂÂAngelinaâ in the front above the phlox. Still need to add some more low spreading flowers in front, and need to bring some more rocks out from the back since we have decided to just live with the wall for the time being. We have to level out the dirt in there a bit and need to mulch.

This post was edited by lindsroc on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 14:07

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

dig some moats .. to aid in PROPER watering on hills.. add mulch

WALK AWAY ...

you do understand proper watering????

if you want to add some annuals.. so be it.. but you are done with conifers.. if not.. one too many ...

did you add amendments on all the holes???

ken

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 15:52

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

But there are so many more I want to buy!!! lol
    Im gonna need another bed.

No amendments....now tell me about proper watering. :)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

[posted on wrong thread]

This post was edited by gardener365 on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 16:48

• ricksample
    11 years ago

Looks pretty good... The large rocks in the front really add to the overall bed. The small rock soldiers lined up in the middle of the bed I would delete. Just toss those down with the larger rocks or something... you want it to look natural and in a forest you'll never see rocks lined up and spaced.

I wouldn't add anymore conifers up anything the grows large to this bed. Those will be large soon enough. Depending on how much sun the bed gets (you don't want these plants to bake)... I would add Hosta's maybe even some heuchera plants or even Ajuga black scallop. You would be surprised at some of the Hosta's or Heuchera plants they have through mail order.

You got the conifers... now you need colors. Google these:

Heuchera Berry Smoothie
    Heucherella Alabama Sunrise
    Heuchera Plum Royale
    Ajuga black scallop
    Hosta Fire Island
    Hosta Stained Glass
    Hosta Captain Kirk

Want some instant blue plants? plant a group of Festuca Boulder Blue plants.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

I'm very impressed. Minus the straight line of rocks ;)) That's a no-no.

While you have no weeds, get some mulch and then Preen over the mulch, immediately, then water the Preen in.

Anytime you plant something new in the bed you'll have to re-do the Preen on the area you disturbed... not the entire bed.

If you aren't going to mulch within a few days, get the Preen on now.

Dax

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys! I was planning on basically burying that row of rocks in the mulch- maybe just have them stick out a little but i can remove them. lol
    The bed is going to have afternoon sun, right now it gets full sun but as soon as all the trees around us leaf out it will start getting just afternoon sun.
    Rick- I love Hostas- We have some that we planted last year right behind the large rocks- the length of the yard but i would love to add some more. There are so many different sizes and colors. I do need color- I agree! I am going to google all of your suggestions. I was also thinking of some ornamental grasses in the back of the bed??? Not sure.
    Dax I am going tomorrow to get mulch. I am just going to do a black mulch, I think it will look good if i do some nice colorful flowers and plants and then the everegreens and conifers. I will pick up some Preen also. Thats not harmful to anything I planted?

This post was edited by lindsroc on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 17:31

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Not harmful. You can put preen over impatiens. You just have to water it in.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Lin, it's 'Smaragd' instead of 'Smargard'.

Ken, the same counts for you ;0)

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Heres our Japanese Maple "Trompenburg" On the opposite corner. I did mulch this bed. But I think I put it down too thick. Not sure what to plant in this bed. It gets less sun because of the big tree on the other side of our driveway so maybe some more hostas and some perennial flowers.

11 years ago

well .. whats your soil type... and what was the result of your perk test???

see .. if you recall .... i was leading you all along ..

recent transplants should not dry .. thru the whole root zone .. and since you planted them.. you know how deep that is .... for the rest of this season.. and in drought next season ...

they should be sodden at planting.. and if you mulch.. it might be a month.. before they need more water.. insert finger to 3 inches.. and do not water.. untilit is dry at that depth.. and then water deep enough to insure a deep watering .. this is where it would be nice to know the result of your perk test.. and whether you have NON-draining clay soil .....

absolutely no one.. but you and your finger.. can tell you when your soil will need water.... though i am sure that guy who sold you the peat.. will have a fast and generic answer for you .. lol ....

think of it this way... they like a drink ... and then near total drainage ... and NEAR drying.. before another drink ...

into all that.. if you get any good rains.. over the summer... that is just that much less watering you will need ...

mulch will cool the soil.. [hot soil gets dry.. go figure] .... retard evaporation.. and increase the time between deep watering. .... and dry mulch on top.. indicates NOTHING.. as to the soil moisture.. 3 inches in the soil ....

mulch should be applied 3 to 4 inches deep.. so when it settles.. it will be 2 to 3 inches deep ...

there is no need for preen.. if you apply it that deep..

and this means nothing as to any annuals and perennials you might plant around them.. those need much more water than these trees ... and you will need to do those much more often [also because their roots will not be as deep ....] ...

but do NOT go watering the conifers.. every time you water those.. or you might root off their roots ... aka drown them ....

mulch is much cheaper by the yard...than in bags .... if you design out the other beds.... etc.. and get delivery of 4 or 5 yards .. it will probably be cheaper than the cost of bags for this one the area ...

it is generally very light.. and if you have a wheelbarrow.. and a man and 2 boys.. ask them what their favorite dinner is.. and put them to work ..... [a manure shovel is also a good investment]

too bad i put this all here.. in an unsearchable titled post ... and that is why i often ask you to start a new post with a searchable title ....

live your dream.. its fun .... isnt it!!!!

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: first pic

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken.... It really is fun! I have definitely found a new hobby! Thanks for the info on watering and mulching. I have everything saved in a folder.
    Thanks to everyone that has helped me out, so far everyday that we have been outside working on the yard we have had neighbors stop to comment on how great its coming along.

10 years ago

i hope we get some spring growth pix

ken