Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Spruce Dying HELP!!!!

Posted by jdog4411 Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 13:36

Hi I planted a six foot Blue Spruce last November and the tree has been browning and dropping needles from the bottom up quickly over the last two months. Can someone advise on what I should do to hopefully save the tree. When I planted it in late November I watered it for about a week, and then the ground froze. Is it not good to plant trees in the winter? It has rained quite a bit this spring but should I be watering it like once or twice a week myself? The base of the tree is covered with old leafs from last last fall would this affect the tree? I don't see any bugs on the tree or any holes in the tree. I hope someone can help as this tree commemorated the birth of our first child. Thanks for the help in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Spruce Dying HELP!!!!

Jdog-

Congrats on the baby, sorry to hear about your tree. That's a great way to memorialize a big event, however it would have been smarter to wait until the spring to plant it.

At a 6 ft. tall, you most likely bought at a nursery, and they will usually have a warranty. However, in Nov. I'm going to guess it was heavily discounted, and possibly not under warranty at the Disc. price. Check with the nursery. If you happened to find one that large at one of the big box stores, exercise the warranty, they will take anything back no matter what you paid for it.

I would call the nursery where you got it and inquire about what to do, or have them come look at it. November might have been pushing it a little bit. Depends on the year, and how late in Nov. it was. I try not to plant anything after Oct. 31 in west central Ohio.

From my experience though, once a conifer starts dropping needles at greater rates than normal, there is almost nothing you can do to bring it back. For conifers to dry is better than to wet, though neither is good. Someone with more expertise may be able to give you some better advise then me, but that's my experiences for what it's worth.

Eliot

P.S. It's never to late to plant another one, and you can have the baby out there with you for the planting too. Would be kind of neat to have a plaque or rock engraved or something that you can sit in front of it with the name/date etc. I've done that for a couple of trees before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here