Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gamekeeper_gw

Peve minaret

gamekeeper
10 years ago

Got this plant a few years back from ACS.Seems to be doing well but wondered about spring pruning?

Comments (18)

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Go for it unless you know someone who grafts and could put the wood to use from winter-pruning.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

can we see a pic?? .. i have never seen one big enough to need such ...

or at least explain.. WHY???

ken

• texjagman
    10 years ago

That's the same question I was going to ask. Other than if you have damage to clean up, Peve Minaret is such a tight vertically inclined tree I'm surprised it needs any type of pruning.

mark

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Its commonly pruned to increase density and branching otherwise you have uprights with no laterals, which some people like the look of

• gamekeeper
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Never pruned before but it came on considerable last summer so now it looks pretty sad without foliage.May be just a bit of tidying.Would gladly send pictures but with all the fires I have to tend haven't gotten to photos.If someone wants or needs wood I would gladly send it.Just collect and enjoy for my own pleasure,no grafting here.

• abciximab
    10 years ago

If left unpruned, Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret' grows wider and more open than most people think. Taxodium takes pruning very well. I've removed ALL branches and pruned several of my 'Peve Minaret' back to the main trunk. They grow back tight and full within the same season. Just depends on what look you're going for. Don't be afraid of pruning Taxodium.

Patrick

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Patrick is right, to prune it back to the main trunk will give you a beautiful result afterwards...

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Do you guys cut back the leader as well and if so how much in proportion to the overall plant?

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Will, the leader will be untouched...

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Got it prune the laterals, thats what I do on my Larix kaempferi 'Jacobsen's Pyramid' and Ginkgo 'Blagon'

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Wil, it's 'Jakobsen's Pyramid'...

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Edwin, its Will not Wil. See how easy it is,lol? Thank you though, actually needed to make an update.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

You see, Will, conifer cultivar names is my kind of field.
    Somethimes people's names are more difficult to me :0)

Why is your name written with a double LL, when the pronouncing is the same as with a single L?

I came across this double thing in a lot of U.S. words and never understood were this is good for.
    Like less, or unless...
    Please, can you explain this to me?
    Thanks in advance!

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Sorry Edwin,thats on the ESL forum.LOL.Doug

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Right, Doug.
    I'm explaining things here all the time.
    Now it's time that someone is explaining me somthing ;0)

• ogcon
    10 years ago

I'm watching a few local growers of this cultivar pruning
    laterals on field grown trees....can you imagine how much
    that helps shipping these fairly brittle plants?All it takes is a
    little consumer education.The limbs on my16' plant are cut to 5 or 6".It really tucks into the landscape nicely.Doug

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Edwin,I'm thinking its because Will is usually short for William.Its been a point of contention for me because when
    I name a newly grafted broom for its place of origin,Willson
    Park,people think I have named it after myself.Not so.....my
    very common name is spelled with one L ,a fact that is important to me only I suppose.Your clarification of nomenclature is a valuable and useful service I think everyone will agree.Doug

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

Off topic but here you go Edwin, link below: It has to do with long and short vowels. And almost nothing is regular in english.

Another interesting link about English: http://www.englishclub.com/interesting-facts/

Here is a link that might be useful: Consonant doubling