Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsroc

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' - Do i need to prune?

lindsroc
10 years ago

This is the shape the tree was in when we purchased it. Is this the natural shape or has it been pruned this way? What is best for this plant...letting it go natural or keeping it shaped? Also, what is the growth habit for this tree- fast, slow? Any info is great. Thank you

ps- we have since finished mulching the bed. I had NO idea how much mulch this project was going to take.

Comments (20)

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Sort of looks to me as though this plant was bound tightly
    with twine for shipping.You didn't say how long its been growing in this spot but it should grow out of this uneven
    exterior before long.I was never in the habit of pruning on
    any of the 'Boulevards'.
    This is however one of the very few plants I tie with twine
    when expecting snow,as it "flops"badly and is slow to recover.Doug

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Doug, its only been in the ground for a couple of weeks. I do plan on wrapping everything at least the 1st winter.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

when we suggested spacing... we left space for everything to grow naturally ... for the next decade or so ...

so... put down the shears and step away... slowly ...

unless???? ... you over-planted.. as you suggested in one of the prior posts....

i want to see pix of the mulching ....

ken

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, I measured and spaced everything out far enough apart to give me a decade. I like natural but I wasn't sure if these are supposed to be pruned, the shape seems so strange right now. It looks like maybe it was pruned and now some branches are starting to grow out longer than others. Hey, for what I want....the bigger the better!! I will tell you, every single time I have been out there working I have had so many people stopping and commenting and complimenting. It's been great, and it's helped me meet a lot of neighbors!
    I will get some pics this weekend. I've been trying to build up the stone wall a little too. Also planted a few ornamental grasses in the front.

• ogcon
    10 years ago

The larger it grows the more likely it is to incur snow damage.Remember this info is from PNW snow wimps.3
    inches of wet is considered heavy
    snow.In Mass. you'll want to have twine ready after Halloween.'Curly Tops grew 10' before it got in the way of other plantings and got lots of compliments,a nice shaggy
    blue tone.

10 years ago

i will continue to be frank with you ....

boulevard will look like heck in 10 years ... it will outgrow its juvenile cuteness and start to become an ugly adult ... and no amount of pruning will save it ....

so plan to get rid of it ....

or over the years.. if you find something that tickles your fancy better.. and need a spot.. use this one ....

i planted it in my nursery/holding bed.. and after just a few years... it grew so much.. i cant move it.. and its not worth it.. because.. its ugly ...

but you will get a few years out of it.. so enjoy it ...

ken

ps: who is frank .... and why am i talking for him ....

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Frank is truth. I don't think anyone wanted to tell you that but it's good Ken did. There's this wonderful tool called a sawzall that you'll need for your Boulevard cypress. The good thing is I wouldn't have planted that blue spruce in a different spot. Given time, it's in the best location it could be and I say that because it won't interfere with the stop sign or views needed from cars at that corner. It will become a big tree.

You're doing real well. Stay with it.

Dax

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

My take on all these cultivars that you have to twine every winter because they splay open under heavy wet snow or ice loads is they are not worth having.

Saving them with twine for a time until they become to large to care for...then what?

There are much better choices that require no special care and perform better over the long run.

Dave

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all...and thanks Frank. lol. I appreciate honesty, Im not going to learn if no one tells me what I do wrong.
    i dont think i would have picked this tree out myself...actually, i didnt...but my husband wanted it so we got it. If it gives us a few good years I will be happy and then we can replace it with something else.
    Im actually trying to figure out where I can put another bed because I have a list of conifers I want to buy. lol.

10 years ago

but my husband wanted it so we got it.

==>>. then it was a brilliant choice .. lol ...

listen ... all we are trying to do.. is give you perspective.. on reality ...

it might only give 10 great years... so what.. what is that.. at a cost of $2.50 per year .... whatever ..

just dont get sentimentally attached to it .... with your limited space.. i did.. and its still there.. but i have the 5 acres ...

see link.. as to how to tie it.. do not waste money on burlap ... and you wont need half that amount.. just for snow.. i was accomplishing something else ....

i am glad.. you understand frank.. and understand.. we are not just going ot placate you.. we do want you to learn ....

there is nothing wrong with the choice.. the info is all about the future ...

ken

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

I made a lot of wrong choices getting started. Nothing wrong with that. I gained valuable experience and moved on. I still on occasion buy a certain cultivar that I know won't work out 3 years down the line. I buy it for the look I want now providing I can buy it right.

The "Boulevard' will give you a few good years. Then when you are through with it your husband can return the favor and give you the opportunity to pick one of your favorites.

Put your existing design plan to scale on paper. Then you can visually see what space you have left. Designing and critiquing that remaining free space area will give you satisfying results. With the best possible design in hand then lay it out with a garden hose and cut in.

Have fun.

Dave

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Dave.... I appreciate everyones feedback. I have some space on the side by the sidewalk, but I think we are going to put something boring over there that will act more as a screen than anything. But i have directly in front of the house and I can look for some cool low stuff for the bed with the Japanese Maple. Our backyard is pretty big but its a lot of shade thanks to the enormous beech tree.

Heres another view.... I have yet to remove the rocks that are IN the bed, need to do that this weekend. Will also be bringing some more rocks from out back and along the driveway and building the wall up a little more. We have been removing a lot of the driveway rocks as suggested and will just slope that down and seed.

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic.

10 years ago

husband can return the favor and give you the opportunity to pick one of your favorites.

==>>> NO!!! ..by then.. we will have taught her.. and she will have broadened his horizons.. or he wont care by then ... lol

well.. the pix.. ??? .. you do understand we are enabling you.. lol ... you have plenty of space for much more.. over the years .... and i foresee... much bed extension of what is there ...

as spring pops.. the forum will have many more pix... just keep a running list.. and expand your horizons.. beyond what is available locally ....and think about mail ordering a few.. for fall planting in about mid september or so ...

congrats.. job well done.. [luckily i found the pix.. you really need to stop throwing stuff in the bottom of posts ... not every one.. comes back repeatedly .... new post.. new title.. new topic]

anyway.. again.. congrats....

ken

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

I was told long ago by someone either at Gee's or Foxwillow Pines that if you can keep a 'Boulevard' out of winter winds they will be a fine specimen. I did that and it worked to perfection. No browning, nice and full right to the ground and then...the squirrels came. Four years ago they decided it made great nesting material and turned it into a pom-pom one fine March day. It's making a slow recovery.

tj

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Those definitely are all going to grow into one another over time. The 'Boulevard' will look great until it opens up at some point, whenever that is. But you could always then go in and cut out the dead brown junk, as the bark is not half bad.

The tallest one I've taped I figured to be about 33' tall. This was in a cemetery east of Seattle.

And no, it wasn't a 'Squarrosa'.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

By the way, with the tight habit, curled shoots and deep coloring I'm not sure yours isn't actually one of the similar cultivars instead of a true 'Boulevard'. You might find if you make comparisons that it is something else.

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bboy, I am hoping in the next couple of years that they provide some screening as we are on the corner of a busy road. I am sure we wont be here more than 10 years so I think we will be good till at least then. Hope so anyways!

• botann
    10 years ago

It's been my experience that they don't 'age' well.
    Mike