Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picea mariana/glauca 'Blue Teardrop'

Posted by bobfincham z7WA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 14:09

'Blue Teardrop' and 'Beehive' Species

This morning I received an email from Edwin questioning the species of 'Blue Teardrop' and 'Beehive' since their names had come up on the Gardenweb. He pointed out some questioning features to me. So I went out and took some cuttings for comparison purposes. I have always had some issues distinguishing conifer species and could easily be in error.
Both plants originated from reversions on plants at Mitsch Nursery in the late 1980's. The plant John, and later myself, sold as Picea mariana 'Nana' had this nice blue reversion that I propagated and named 'Blue Teardrop'. At about the same time one of our Picea glauca 'Echiniformis' stock plants developed a reversion that I named Picea glauca 'Beehive'. Reversions were common on both of these species and usually just removed.
I had a number of people verify the species for me and kept them under those names. And this is the first time their species was ever questioned. I haven't propagated the 'Beehive' in almost ten years and the 'Blue Teardrop' has only been done intermittently over the same time span. Both are very nice plants but since I have over 1000 different cultivars in my collection I tended to overlook them at propagation time, especially since there wasn't any demand for either one (until recently).
Alan Mitchell was a good friend and pioneered the idea of scents to identify species. So I went to my wife, Dianne, whose sense of smell is much better than mine, to do some comparison smell tests. According to Alan, Picea mariana smells of menthol while glauce smells like "mouse" (I assume to be an earth smell). She verified that 'Blue Teardrop' smelled like Picea glauca 'Hudsonii' and that 'Beehive' had more of an earthy smell.
Then I checked a conifer species handbook that pointed out to me that Picea glauca has smooth bark on twigs while mariana has "hairy" bark. 'Blue Teardrop' is smooth while 'Beehive' is hairy.
So a correction is due: these two cultivars are actually Picea glauca 'Blue Teardrop' and Picea mariana 'Beehive'.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picea mariana/glauca 'Blue Teardrop'

Thanks Bob. :)

o

Thanks Bob, according to you.It's right.
Clement

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 15:23

Do you hear that? That is the sound of folks updating their databases and printing labels for their markers!

Thanks for the confirmation and clarification.

o

wow. This is huge! All around the world, labels and databases are being changed, especially in the case of 'Blue Teardrop,' since it's a more prevalent plant. Nice work, team.

~Dave

o

So which one is this, mariana or glauca?

Dave

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Dave, your's is a Picea glauca.
The 2 stomatal bands on both sides of the needles is typical for this species.
Picea mariana do have only 1 stomatal band in the middle of it's needles...

Picea mariana needles are shorter and less thick.

o
RE: Picea mariana/glauca 'Blue Teardrop' #2

Edwin,

Looks like a species name change is in order.

Thanks,

Dave

o

I am glad to hear a definitive identification from the nose of the pro. :0)

Also thanks for sharing this important update with us, Mr. Fincham. It is greatly appreciated.

-Sam

o

I always had in mind that there was an origin confusion with both plants...

Overhere I also can hear the sound of folks updating their databases and printing labels for their markers, but unfortunately these are only the one's wo are reading this forum.
For the time to come there will be a lot of relabeling to do for nurserymen and garden centres owners...

Here is a link that might be useful: work that have to be done!

o

The same is for the 'Beehive' which is everywhere availlable under the wrong species name.

All is a matter of good determination skills which is also rarely seen by nurserymen, all are "lazy followers" imo...

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Beehive'

o

Hi Edwin,

I've written to a moderator at UBC Botanical Forums to change the title of the thread & cultivar name & I've written a follow-up.

One done!

Dax

o

In fine :
Picea glauca Blue Teardrop
Picea glauca "Blue Teardrop"

and
Picea mariana Beehive
Picea mariana "Beehive"

2 different cultivar from 2 different species!
Clement

o

Thanks Dax, that's a step in the good direction!

Thanks Clement for your pics!
This 'Beehive' specimen is growing in my Pinetum.

Maybe it's the only one in whole Europe for now, but it's propagated so it will be availlable under the good name in Europe soon :0)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here