Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmarker

Picea abies 'Pendula Variegata'?

plantmarker
16 years ago

Hello Folks -

Am I remembering correctly a photo that was posted by someone of a cultivar named Picea abies 'Pendula Variegata'? If so, could you kindly re-post that photo? I can't seem to find it on the forum.

Also, can someone tell me a source for this cultivar? I am very intrigued by it.

Many thanks!

PlantMarker (And, yes, I am a Conifer-holic)

Comments (17)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

hey PM ....

may i respectfully suggest.. that you have been dreaming about conifers again ...

the name rings no bells with me.. and being of the odder the better club... if it were out there .. i would know about it ... but then .. i might not ...

pumped it into google.. link below... doesnt seem to pop anything but yoru post...

if you find it.. let me know... i will get in line behind you ... or if i know the seller.. i will get it first.. lol .. NOT

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• plantmarker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Ken -

Yes, I Googled it as well and found nothing. So, I posted the question on the forum.

Maybe I was in a wish list dream state.

Maybe it was another species of variegated weeping spruce than abies?

Thanks!

PlantMarker

• treelover3
    16 years ago

I have seen a photo of this cultivar associated with Iseli Nursery, but a search didn't bring anything up. I'll keep looking. It's a beautiful plant and I would love to find it too.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    tl³

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

If named post-1959 needs a new non-Latin cultivar name, maybe they came up with one and changed it - or they gave it a non-Latin name from the start and you are now remembering it incorrectly.

Another thing that happens is a new plant appears under one name from one source and then another introduction magically pops up at about the same time - under a different name.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

I looked where I thought I might have seen it:

Picea abies 'Pendula' (variegated form). A mutant with yellow new shoots that later turn green. Found by Jean Iseli, Boring, Oregon, U.S.A., and not yet named

--Gelderen/Hoey Smith, Conifers - The Illustrated Encyclopedia - Vol. 2 (1997, Timber Press)

If it was found by Jean it would have been some time ago now. They probably didn't develop the plant or tried it and then dropped it - the picture shows a 'Reflexa' with a small percentage of yellow shoots scattered throughout. It seems most such variants don't make it to the big time or are found to not have what it takes and are discontinued. A grafted plant like this would have to strike a chord with numerous consumers willing to pay what it would be priced at, the one shown in the photo used doesn't really look the part.

• dansgrdn
    16 years ago

Hi Plantmarker, I remember seeing it on the BCS site, but have never seen it offered for sale anywhere. Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to BCS picture

• plantmarker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dan -

That's exactly it! Thank you! I saw it while perusing the BCS site the other day.

I was going crazy there for a bit trying to remember.

Now to find out if it's available.

Thanks!

PlantMarker

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Looks just like the form in the book photo.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Note again that it should not be called 'Pendula Variegata'. Even if the originator had eventually named it this it was probably after 1959, making such a Latin cultivar name needing to be replaced with another, non-Latin one. And it looks like it's a variant of 'Reflexa', so even if it had qualified for such a combination it should have been 'Reflexa Variegata'.

Since it appears the selection has been propagated it should be given a legitimate name.

• bobfincham
    16 years ago

The variegation is very inconsistent. It ranges from 50%+ of the plant to almost nothing. Iseli propagted a number of them for evaluation purposes and shared a very few with some of their special friends. Its inconsistent variegation makes it of little interest for any sort of commercial purpose since most buyers would be disappointed. I like variegated conifers and never tried to get one of these.

Bob

16 years ago

its coloration.. reminds me a lot of Picea glauce Dent ...

though not its habit ....

ken

• dcsteg
    16 years ago

Iseli doesn't know anything about this conifer either.

There Quote: I have not seen or heard of this cultivar.
    Thanks, Bill
    -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 3:49 PM
    To: bkraemer@iselinursery.com
    Subject: Picea abies 'Pendula 'Variegata'

Is there such a conifer as this? The GW conifer forum says the trail could lead to Iseli. Is there such a cultivar?

Dave

16 years ago

compare the bottom picture at the link as for shape...

it still look like picea glauca pendula .... plus the color of dent..

maybe its lost.. because it has been renamed????? properly to gluaca... though i have never heard of a variegated glauca either ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: bottom pic ...

• bluespruce53
    16 years ago

Ken - Just for information the photo in your link to the BCS website, is of a young Picea glauca 'Pendula' taken at Don Howse's nursery,Porterhowse Farms, during the ACS national meeting in Oregon (can't remember the year). The photo of Picea abies 'Pendula Variegata (Iseli) was taken at Weil Linssens garden in Holland, 2004.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

O boy, this is an old topic which started 5,5 years ago...

Stephen was right with his info and I think there's only one specimen alive now which is not the one at Wiel's garden, he removed his specimen years ago...

Last winter I came acros another specimen of this cultivar here in The Netherlands which was propagated from the one in Wiel's garden, so it's not gone!
    I cut some nice variegated branches which were grafted so there's a chance that it will be in the trade in a couple of years from now...

Picea abies 'Pendula Variegata'
    {{gwi:685255}}

{{gwi:685256}}

This post was edited by coniferjoy on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 10:48

• sprucebud
    10 years ago

Very nice, Edwin!
    Richard

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Hmmm, it seems that the persons who cared about it in the past don't care anymore...maybe because it's only in Europe now and not in The States any longer?
    Is this the cause of another careless behaviour?

It also seems that the Iseli Nursery staf don't know what conifers Jean Iseli selected when he was still around.
    The same counts for their fake Picea sitchensis 'Bentham's Sunlight'.
    He found another yellow one of which they thought it was the same one as the famous golden Sitka Spruce of the Haida Tribe...