Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzyandlee

Planting Junipers and Coral Bells in front yard

suzyandlee
9 years ago

I thought to put in a flower bed along the walkway leading to the house with blue star junipers and coral bells. How far to plant them from the walkway? Also, how many coral bells would I need for a 19 foot space? I already have four junipers and thought to intersperse them w/ the bells.
TIA!!

Comments (3)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Heuchera appreciate a bit of shade, junipers prefer full blazing sun. Are you sure these will work together for you? Knowing what part of the country you are in would also help.

tj

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i have some of these ground hugging Js in shade ... no plant will die in shade ... but they are a bit sparser than similar types in full sun after 10 years .. so.. in a decade or so.. you might not like how they end up ...

as to the coral bells.. perhaps a post in the perennial forum will get you info on their tolerance to shade ...

also.. shade is a word.. that defies understanding ... it would be better to tell us how many hours of sun if any ... 8 hours of sun is full sun ... and yet ... that leaves something like 5 hours of shade ... so be a bit more specific in that regard.. what you call shade might not be shade.. in my warped world ...

there is also shade that is like a cave.. and shade so bright .. you need sunglasses.. etc ...

frankly.. just do it ... if they fail the thrive.. move them to better places.. and try something new next year ...

i like the idea of your color scheme ... if you are leaning toward the fuchsia/pink and blue ...

good luck

ken

ps: one way to glean light levels.. is to look to what else is thriving in the spot ... or what failed.. any insight this way??? e.g. if grass wont grow in this shade .. just blacktop it.. because if the worlds greatest weed cant live.. nothing will .. lol [think norway maple and the barren earth under them]

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

to me
    Here's a Blue Star juniper on a standard that is about 25 years old in my garden. It's five feet across. I had no idea it would get that large when I planted it. Same for the Cryptomeria j., 'Nana' next to it. Same with the Nest Spruce. I wish I had a forum like this then.
    I really like it that you are asking questions about distance from hard surfacing and placing of plants. More often than not, people end up planting too close to the sidewalk or driveway and end up trimming the junipers into an ugly wall for several years before having to remove them.
    I was a landscaper for 35 years and did a lot of yard makeovers.
    I removed hundreds of improperly place Juniper tams and Mugo pines over the years.
    After seeing my picture, I'll leave it to you to determine the distance you feel comfortable with.
    Mike

{{gwi:685291}}