Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

g dead branches near the ground on a blue spruce?

scrappy25
10 years ago

Hi, we have a large blue spruce in our front yard that has not had any attention in the past few decades. It always seemed to be doing well so we did not worry about it. I have alwyas had the Trugreen tree and shrub service but honestly don't know if they attend to the blue spruce.

I was under the tree last week to pull out some trash that had blown under this winter and noticed that the lower branches are all dead. Should we cut those off or leave them to suppor the upper branches? Is this just an inevitable cause of aging?

RIght now there's not a problem with weeds since the tree branches trail to the ground and the tree seems to self-mulch with needles. I am worried that trimming the lower branches might open the ground up so that I have to regularly tend to it. However, I don't want to leave the dead branches if they will harm the tree.One small possible advantage of removing the dead branches is being able to see if there is a parked car on the other side, not currently possible.
{{gwi:685309}}
{{gwi:685312}}{{gwi:685313}}

Comments (5)

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Could be some kind of needle cast disease.

I do know you treat for this in the spring.

Call your county extension agent for a correct assessment of your problem.

I would remove the dead branches.

Dave

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

dead branches are.. well.. dead... remove them ...

it is natural.. that this happens ...

your lawn service will treat anything you are willing to pay them to do... presuming it is a quality service.. as compared to 'Bob is your unlce lawn care'

if it is diseased... get rid of it ... one neighbor has spent probably spent $1000 on trying to save 3 of these.. and he is now going to have to pay for removal ...

i suspect.. this was planted .. when surrounding shade trees were small .. and based on the shadows .. the lower part of your tree is now shaded... these are full sun plants... and though the top may thrive.. look good.. the bottom will not ...

do you know what a branch collar is.. and how to properly cut off limbs.. if not ask ...

as of right now.. i could make this fall down with my chainsaw... in a few years it would be a hire out job.. think about this.. if you have any capability in that regard ...

picea pungens.. do have the endemic disease dave is talking about.. and yours is hitting the age.. where it becomes a problem.. again.. i would not invest a lot of money in trying to save it...

ken

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks, it is definitely looking not so happy right now.Too bad because I really like this tree. I think that is the shadow from the pine tree 20 feet away that you see with the late afternoon sun.It doesn't hit the blue spruce until the sun is low. Pretty sure that spruce is in full sun otherwise. I tried to call the extension office but they are only open for calls 9-1 so will call again tomorrow.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

definitely looking not so happy right now.

==>>> wrong time of year to be presuming such ... its basically still asleep from winter ...

i bet it flushes out very nicely ...

post us some pix then.. if it doesnt .. then we discuss.. if it is in decline ...

ken

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok extension service says that cytosphera and needlecast is common in blue spruces in Maryland although they do not know what is affecting my tree. They also say to watch the tree- they don't recommend trying to save it if it has one of those. They also advised against replanting another blue spruce due to the gradual warming of our temperatures. (notwithstanding the polar vortex this winter, you'd think this spruce would have loved that).

I will keep an eye on it and cut off the dead branches outside the branch collar as suggested. thank you!