Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erin_farr

anyone buy via mail order from Mountain Meadow Dwarf Conifers?

I'm after a couple unique conifers and this site seems to have a few I'm after that I can't seem to find elsewhere. I've run a search but hear no mention of them at all so I'm curious if anyone has purchased from them and can give a review.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• ricksample
    10 years ago

I've never purchased from them, nor do I see any reviews about them. However, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try. Just because they have a picture of there nursery on the main page and if you go to there facebook page, they have pictures of individual plants and a tour. To me, showing what the plants look like a head of purchase along with pictures of the nursery, is better than a review.

I will add them to my list to try out.

• Erin Farr (Niagara Zone 6)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I am definitely going to give them a try but since I've not done a mail order and am new to gardening, I'm still not 100% sure what a "healthy" or root bound plant looks like or what a "good packaging job" looks like. Also, I could also easily be sucked in to paying for a 1 gallon plant put in a 5 gallon pot and not know any better! LOL I guess I could always post photos once I get them and everyone else can hopefully educated me from there :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the only way to learn.. is order them up.. and compare.. over the years ... thats how we all learned ....

that was why i showed pix of the box i got ...

as to what you get.. understand.. first.. that growing trees in pots is tough .... and you should grow on the understock for a year or two.. before you ever graft ....

and that grafted stock should be grown on for a few years after the graft ..... before it is sold..

in my world.. that means a tree in a pot for a number of years.. and i find it amusing.. all the complaining about trees being root bound ... on some level... though obviously.. extreme pot bound is another thing ...

that said.. it would be best.. if you can get them dormant.. and plant them dormant ... as it lessens your need for supreme aftercare ... its really hard to plant something just budded out.. and not stress the bee-gee-bees out of it ... so time is of the essence ... depending where the seller is ... so your first concern.. after getting them.. will be whether they can go straight in the ground in regard to frost/freeze ...

i dont recall offhand.. your background.. ask if you need info on how to PROPERLY : plant, water and mulch....

and NEVER FORGET.. just because you got it.. doesnt mean its proper to plant it immediately.. if i dont get mine in by 5/1 .. they will remain in the pots until fall planting season .... NOTHING gets planted.. in my sand.. in summer... as i wont be able to perfect PROPER WATERING... on the 5 acres ... in other words.. one or more will get forgotten ...

just do it.. and learn.. and we will help ..

ken

• Erin Farr (Niagara Zone 6)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ken, I didn't realized the time frame was so short. I guess I better get a move on! So that probably answers your question on my background...zero, zilch, zippo....this is my first garden and I have no idea what I'm doing...lol

Still waiting to hear back from the nursery as to a price for shipping. I will likely order and hopefully I can get them in the ground soon. I will post photos when I get them and go from there!

Thanks again!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?