Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
picea_gw

Hardy Cedrus Report-Lets her it

picea
10 years ago

After this winter we are going to finally see which of the true cedars are really hardy so this is what I have to reports from Cincinnati:

Both Karl Fuchs 19' tall and Eugene 5' tall look good, little browning. The buds are swelling on both .

4' tall Blue Atlas Cedar in the ground 2 year still looks a little shaky, The buds have are not swelling yet but the needles are not dropping or really browning either.

One other note, I have a seedling abies firma which is slightly protected from sun that looks great. It only 3-4' tall.

David

Comments (3)

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the report. FWIW none of my firs were injured even in the slightest. Not even a tiny bit of browning or bleaching. Those are 2 firma 9-12', 1 pindrow 4', 1 ernestii 4', and seedling delavayis, alba, cephalonica, nordmanniana subsp. equitrojanis. Of course the seedlings, luckily, would have been mostly snow covered during the 3F freezes.

My 'Shalimar' had just a bit of needle drop and browning of some needles. That's to be expected I think. The original Arnold Arboretum article states that it was damaged at -6F in Boston in the 70s or 80s but recovered. It's probably not quite as hardy as the other hardier C. deodara...because it wasn't really selected for it. It was just a nice looking tree in the zn 9 Shalimar Gardens in Srinagar, India. 'Paktia' et al were deliberately picked out of a cold mountain valley further west.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 16:51

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Interestingly, it seems that although overall, the species Cedrus deodara is the least hardy of the true cedars, the hardiest selections (such as picea's 'Karl Fuchs' or even 'Shalimar') are actually hardier than even the hardiest Cedrus libani, which is *overall* the hardiest Cedrus species as a whole.

Confused yet? Haha.

Some of the deodaras around here look a bit yellowed/browned but I haven't seen major damage to speak of.

The fact that 'Karl Fuchs' survived intact in Ohio means it must be significantly hardier than the rest.

• baxswoh
    10 years ago

Cedrus deodora "Eisregen" came through looking as good as the day it was planted.

A 20 year old Cupressus glabra "Blue Ice" however is now all brown. Sad to see 25 feet of brown foliage.

The glabra "Picasso" at the Rowe arboretum suffered the same damage as my Blue Ice. So I would put that entire family in the "Great plant until a year like this" category.