Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arborvitae trees near a septic leach field

Posted by chasin_rabbits (john_carr88@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 14:59

Hi everyone I am new here. I am trying to find some information on arborvitae trees root systems and if they could present a problem if planted near a leach field. We would like to plant 20 or so of the 10-15ft tall emerald green arborvitaes at the very end of our leach field. They would probably be within 3 or 4 feet of the last drainage pipe. We cant plant them any farther away because our leach field extends almost to the road in front of our house, and the road is what we want to screen with the arborvitaes.

I've been searching the web and this forum for a while and can't seem to find any info on these trees in regards to planting them near a leach field. Does anyone have any experience/info with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arborvitae trees near a septic leach field

Hi.

Most would just say "no" since any serious root invasion could make for a very costly repair and/or costly sale of the home once an inspector for the buyer raises hell about the trees near the drain field.

That being said, the best information I was able to find about the topic is here: pubs.ext.vt.edu/426/426-617/426-617.pdf

FWIW, I have malus and Oxydendrum arboreum within about 5 feet of the edge of mine. My folks have several eastern white pines all in theirs (30-something years on, no problems).

Unless you get advice from an expert on the tree you are planting that says go ahead, don't do ahead with the plans unless you're willing to pay for a fix later down the road. I hear it's expensive :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here