Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acw2355

Juniperus squamata 'Meyeri'

acw2355
9 years ago

I impulsively purchased three "Fishback" Junipers ( Juniperus squamata 'Meyeri'?) from a local independent nursery this weekend. I have one already that overwintered just fine up here in the Portland OR area. I purchased the plant because I really like the blue-silver hue of the plant and the Asian look to it.
I started reading up after (naturally) I purchased these three and found that they become rather scraggly with age and that the needles often turn brown and do not drop off.

I would like to espalier these three up a fence in a patio to give an Asian feel to the patio area (along with some potted Japanese Maples, Umbrella Pine, and a Weeping Larch).

Does anyone on the Conifer Forum have experience with this "Fishback" Juniper? It seems that I should be able to keep it artfully pruned on a fence and hopefully avoid the scraggly, brown needles.

Comments (3)

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

They don't age well. I'm surprised nurseries still offer them. I think they need a sunnier, colder, drier, windier site that our climate can offer. The Pacific NW climate is too easy, and as a consequence, any mature one looks ratty. Pruning to make them look otherwise would be an ongoing chore I wouldn't want to take on.
    They sure look nice in a one gallon pot though.

Mike

• acw2355
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mike you nailed it. They look very appealing in the containers they came in (6 qt. I think, bigger than #1). If only they would keep that sculptured look.

Well, I am able to exchange them at this nursery. Still looking for an upright conifer in that blue range. Any suggestions?

The patio is paved with approx 4 foot border in which to plant. Am able to extend border out to 5 feet in some spots. Exposure is on south side of house but neighbor's Doug Firs cast a long shadow in the afternoon, so it's open shade after 3:30 pm.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

conifers are trees ...

as such.. they will grow.. basically for your entire life ...

you are dreaming.. that you will find.. a perfect plant.. for a perfect space .. and that perfection will last for ever ... we have all been dreaming of that plant forever.. lol ...

the lesson starts with annual growth rates... you want something that grow slow ... a dwarf or a mini .. see link ... with the slower growth rate.. it will take longer to fill a given space .. before you need to learn how to prune it ....

after size.. then you go toward color ... then you think shape/form ... then you learn how to prune ...

your words are beautiful... but i suspect.. that if you can snap some pix... you will get better answers to filling a given space.. rather than us guessing ...

OR is the center of conifer propagation in the US ... you should be able to find some labeled gardens to visit to see these thing in real life.. as compared to the WWWeb ... or snap some pix around the 'hood.. of things that interest you.. and maybe we can ID them ... or snap some pix at your nursery.. and we can opine on them ... otherwise.. all you have told us is blue and 4 feet wide.. and open shade [which doesnt really mean anything, as some shade is a cave.. and some shade is as good as full sun]

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link