Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
abies homolepis 'variegata'

Posted by robbandthedogs 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 15:14

Is this worthwhile adding to my collection,....or is it just another minor variation and therefore only suitable for the obsessive/compulsive members of our ....Obsession?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: abies homolepis 'variegata'

one might question it in z5 ... depending on micro climate ...

arrowhead or gee's????

ken

o

The two plants I purchased had a very good, appealing amount of variegation in the spring, but it fades toward the end of summer and is difficult to see in the middle of winter. I am very happy with it, but I'm a sucker for variegated conifers--especially fir trees. I'd say go for it because it is supposed to be hardy to Zone 4!

Here's a picture of the best variegated branch I could find in March:
Abies homolepis 'Aureovariegata'

And here is a picture of the beautiful pollen cones which seem plentiful even on young (7-year-old) plants! A beautiful contrast with the variegation.
Abies homolepis 'Aureovariegata'

-Sam

o

It's a nice little tree with a creamy white variegation.
The only disadvantage is that some branches will revert back to normal green so the green parts must be pruned.

The true name for this one is Abies homolepis 'Variegated', not 'Variegata' or 'Aureovariegata'...

o

Edwin,
Are you sure about the name ? this cultivar are selected by Hesse nurseries, I don't know when.
But in her 79/80' catalogue he are listed :
Abies homolepis "Aureo-variegata" neuheit H.A.Hesse. (New)
Clement

o

Yep, I'm sure.
The variegation is white, so it can never be 'Aureovariegata' which means "golden variegated" in English.
'Aureovariega' is also illegitimate because Latin cultivar names may not be used after 1959.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here