Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
picea_gw

True cedar winter results-Please report

picea
9 years ago

It has been a hard winter so we are finally going to see how how hardy some of the hardy cedars actually are.

In Cincy Karl Fuchs and Eugene Both look great and are starting to push.

One other note, I have a seedling abies firma that looks great also. I always thought firma was zone 7 or 6b,
David

Comments (9)

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

In Kingston Ontario, C. libani var. stenocoma had some browning of needles...mainly at 4'-5' above ground. Otherwise looks fine.

Karl Fuchs wasn't quite as resilient. 2nd year needles all turned brown and are falling off. Last year's needles don't show any damage and is guessing it will be fine. I also had frost cracking below the snow level...my fault b/c I had been shoveling snow onto the garden.

• garcanad
    9 years ago

This is probably the worst winter here in more than 30 years.
    My Cedrus deodara 'Eiswinter' survived its first winter with little browning. (Its about 10 ft tall and the snow is only covered about 2.5 ft deep.) All five Cedrus libani Subsp. stenocoma suffered severe browning for the first time in more than 20 years.
    My young experimental Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca Pendula' was totally cooked (in its third winter).

• texjagman
    9 years ago

I'm in Oklahoma...7A.....normally a solid zone for deodaras so I have several. Like the rest of the nation, it was our coldest winter in many years. We dealt with several nights at zero or below. So I've been waiting to see what damage I sustained.

I had random burn around my gardens, but no consistency. For instance, I had a 6' Lime Glow where the top 3' died completely and the bottom half showed no sign of burn. In another area of the property I had a little Lime Glow - only about 2' - and it came through unscathed.

The only tree I lost completely was a Cedrus atlantica 'Hillier's H.B.'

I did have another deodara that burned pretty bad but will recover which was a Cedrus deodara 'Monkinn' P. P. A. F. , sold under the coomon name of Feelin' Sunny.

The burn around the gardens though was weird, almost like you could see the burning wind's path. I might have one tree burned on the top, while a few trees away one's burned vertically on one side, and so forth. Usually in my zone I deal a lot more with heat and sunburn. It was my first time dealing with cold issues.

Mark

• nikkie_in_toronto
    9 years ago

I was visiting with my parents in Cleveland, OH over the weekend and it appears that all three of their blue atlas cedars were killed to the snow line. It is very disheartening because the one was in the ground for about 15 years and was about 25 feet in height. They are completely burned. Scraping the bark yields no green tissue. All that is visible is dry brown cambium. The same applies to the "hardier" cedrus stenocoma, which was surprising because it too was in the ground about 15 years and was approaching 30 feet. Cedrus deodara Eisregen and Karl Fuchs show no burn or any visible damage and appear to be breaking buds.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

It seems that the Patkia deodaras (the extra hardy ones like Karl Fuchs, eisregen, etc) are really that much hardier than even C. libani stenocoma.

• nikkie_in_toronto
    9 years ago

It appears that high altitude deodaras are quite hardy. I was very surprised at the stenocoma because I have seen some in NE Ohio that came through 1994's -20F lows with burn but survived. I'm not sure what was different about this year unless it was a lack of reliable snow cover in certain areas or fluctuations in temps. I was very surprised by that one; not so much by the blue atlas.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

2' Karl Fuchs zappped. scion & rootstock.

Dax

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

I wonder if the rootstock was a seedling C. deodara from the PNW though. Might be the problem? Of course, if you are in 5b but had a 5a winter, that could be the problem too.

• greatplainsturf
    9 years ago

Driving around today, I have noticed several deodars and golden deodars that did not survive the winter here in central OK. Trees in the city seemed to do Ok, but when you get out to the rural neighborhoods you see lots more damage and loss. I'd say maybe 20% dead or damage. Not as bad as winter of 2011 when almost all in my neighborhood died due to -20f.