Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Golden Yew?

Posted by katiem OH (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 08 at 15:44

I have a garden design that calls for 2 Japanese Golden Yews (Taxus cuspidata 'Aurescens'). I'm having a hard time locating them at my local nurseries, as well as on the Internet. Is there another common name, or is there something else that I can use instead? They need to be slow growing with similar color and texture.
Thanks!
Katie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Golden Yew?

Taxus cuspidata 'Dwarf Bright Gold' is a similar, but slightly larger selection that may be more readily available

o

go to the Amer Conf society website ..... read through all the material ... the pix.. etc... weave your way to the DATABASE ... insert Taxus ....... see all the variations on a theme ... use the latin names.. and go to google images .... and check them all out ... there are many look alikes in teh conifer world.. dont get stuck looking for some particular plant ... when others might be just as good.. if not exactly the same ...

also .. boy you got lucky .... go to girards site:

http://www.girardnurseries.com/Yew-s/154.htm

$3.50 for a 3 inch pot.. call them to see if they have bigger stock ...

they list it at Taxus baccatta A .... so there may be a nomenclature problem with your name search ....

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: ACS

o
RE: Girards

BTW .. its in saybrook OH ... if you are anywhere close to there

ken

o

saw two Taxus cuspidata 'Aurescens' today at a specialty nursery in Miamsburg, OH (southern suburb of Dayton) that came from Iseli. Sorta pricey little buggers, but nice plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here