Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found at last: old growth redwoods of Mexico!

Posted by arauquoia z7b GA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 17:04

AKA Montezuma cypress. These are the same as the Tule tree of Oaxaca, I believe. But these are an entire forest or at least large grove.

Here's where to find them: At the Lago de Camecuaro National Park near Zamora.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found at last: old growth redwoods of Mexico!

Nice trick - I've never heard of T. mucronatum being called redwood! I thought for a moment that there had been a discovery of a population of S. sempervirens or something.

o

Horticulturalists in New Mexico at the Tome nursery (now called the Plants that Please) call Taxodium the Texas redwood -- I guess because Taxodium was classified with redwoods in Taxodiaceae, sometimes called the redwood family.

These are the same people who found a Taxodium species in the mountains of southwest New Mexico that they were having tested at Cornell? to see if it is a new species. (If it was found on the Eastern side of the continental divide, that would put it into the watershed of the Rio Grande, making it likely?/possible? that it is T. mucronatum. There's a Chinese researcher who claims to have found T. mucronatum south of Las Cruces in the watershed of the Rio Grande.)

o

I just visited Plants that Please website... they call them "New Mexico Redwood", not Texas Redwood. I've known about them for several years now. They're just more cold hardy compared to the ones to the south.

I was given free NMMC plants to try out a few years ago. They're alright. Nothing special plus they seem to be susceptible to needle disease due to high humidity. To fix that problem, Chinese scientists bred both Montezuma and Bald cypress to be more resistant against blight but retain growing characters of MC and better form of BC. I have some in my backyard...

Here is my Montezuma cypress grown from a seed that came from MC at Stephen F Austin State University that came from one in Mexico back in 1980s.

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Taxodium Breeding Brochure from the Nanjing Botanical Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here