Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

Planted a Few

gardener365
11 years ago

I still have a big set of stitches on my leg but I really wanted to plant today. I went until I could no further.

Dax

Abies x koreocarpa 'Inga'
{{gwi:688637}}

Picea pungens 'Filip's Blue Compact'
{{gwi:688638}}

Picea pungens 'JM3C'
{{gwi:688639}}

Picea engelmannii 'Warrior'
{{gwi:688640}}

Pinus heldreichii 'Pirin 3'
{{gwi:688641}}

Picea pungens 'Edith'
{{gwi:688642}}

Eastern Meadowlark singing:
{{gwi:688643}}

Sophie after sniffing one of my Bluebird nesting boxes:
{{gwi:688644}}

The same Eastern Meadowlark foraging in front of a Picea omorika 'Aurea':
{{gwi:688645}}

Seedlings and (rt.) Pinus parviflora 'Yatsubusa':
{{gwi:688647}}

Comments (28)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    11 years ago

I like the nature shots mixed in. Looks like you are keeping busy enough.

Stitches in the leg huh? Four years ago I had an ACL replaced in the spring after a hockey mishap. I don't think I did that much planting lol.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's all about the birds and four-legged animals here. I love watching nature. Of course trees and shrubs are fun to admire, too.

Tomorrow I'm slowly planting radishes.
    Have a good one T.

Dax

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

Looks great!

Will look even better if you can point me in the right direction for obtaining a 'Warrior'...

• Simoni
    11 years ago

Hi Dax, good work...
    On saturday we started to work in the garden, the weather is better, yippee!
    L+M S

• pastaetr
    11 years ago

Nice job putting that new camera to work, Dax.

Now it's time to put Sophie to work digging holes for your other new trees.

Heal well, you're going to need that stitched up leg.

I especially like 'Inga' and 'JMC3'.

Save a place for 'Keokuk Koner'.

Charley

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

unpro: I don't have an answer. Scionwood was sent from Nate a few years back, but not much. You're just going to have to keep your eyes peeled. Bokyo grafted a few for stock plants 2-years ago and a very small amount of wood went to Jason at Western Evergreen of which I would conclude he too is at the very early stages of stock plants. It may be a while...

Simoni, I'm glad the weather is better. Planting here has been available for three weeks.

Charley, how did you know about Sophie being a hole digger?! Would you care to adopt? ......Keokuk Koner has its spot marked. Thanks for being the grafter.

Eastern Meadowlark Singing

Dax

This post was edited by gardener365 on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 8:19

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Nice to see this post, Dax, looks like you planted some real gems. Glad to see you're recovering quickly, best wishes go out to you for more of the same.

'JM3C' looks awesome, and I really like the koreocarpa too. Love the shot of the singing meadowlark, you've got real talent for capturing birds on film. Must be much harder than photographing plants, which move much much slower ;0)

Alex

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HI Alex,

Like my plant list, I keep a bird list. Call me a geek if you will ;o)

Dax

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Some really rare stuff Dax. Hope you're up for trading or selling some grafts sometime in the near future!

Looking forward to your progress.

-Will

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Will,

The only current problem is what I do have (less than 25) I only have singles of. I did send a ton of scions to friends this winter, however, and will reap some returns later come Fall.

I'd definitely love to trade, of course... be it scions or plants.

Dax

• hungrymind
    11 years ago

Dax, good to see that you are out working the land! Those are some very nice plants you are working with. I am also looking for the day I can get my hands on
    Picea engelmannii 'Warrior'! Your dog looks like she is on top of the world. Is that video from your new camera?

Rob

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is from my new camera, Rob. I was seated on my mower a distance away, and on a slope, and the wind was fierce. Another video I made of Keith climbing a tree had zero shakiness. The camera is capable of keeping human motion in check & it puts out a heck of a beautiful picture on a HD television, too.

Yep, yesterday was a great day. I am having trouble walking today, however. I did overdo things. No injury though. Just irritation from the bandages.

Take it easy Rob. Chat sooner than later.

Dax

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A few more. These are a week old:

A three-year-graft started as a single bud. This year will be year-four: Picea pungens 'Burl'
    {{gwi:688649}}

Pinus pseudopumilio 'Maja'
    {{gwi:688652}}

Pinus pseudopumilio 'Maja'
    {{gwi:688656}}

Pinus mugo 'Vicki'
    {{gwi:688661}}

This one has been in my greenhouse this winter: Picea glauca 'Jalako Gold'
    {{gwi:688664}}

Dax

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

I would totally accidentally step on a few if I planted them out so small. Good work, though!

• barbaraincalif
    11 years ago

Wow Dax, what a great assortment of uncommon cultivars!

Love your YouTube clip. Here, the Western Meadowlark starts singing in mid-February, but disappears within a month. Probably take off when there starts to be tractor work in the field.

Your new camera takes great pictures...which one did you get?

Take care,
    Barbara

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A Sony Cyber Shot : Exmor R 18.2 mega pixels : DSC-HX20V

Northern Flicker
    {{gwi:688668}}

Northern Flicker
    {{gwi:688670}}

Northern Flicker
    {{gwi:688672}}

Dax

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Dax, Theres your name for your next little broom find... XXXX XXX 'Northern Flicker'. Something tinted with yellow would work.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm on it Al. Birds and cultivar names. Of course Bob Fincham has a duo step up on me with 'Finch' being a part of his last name.

Appreciated...

Dax

• sluice
    11 years ago

Good stuff. I like the Burl. Thanks for the tour!

• barbaraincalif
    11 years ago

Thanks for your camera info Dax...it takes a steady hand for bird photography too!

Don't the Flickers hammer away at the openings to your Bluebird boxes? David had to put large fender washers at the entrances of ours to keep them from being destroyed:

• gardener365
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm going to have to watch them buggers! Great idea. I built my boxes last Fall so I haven't had to deal.

I still say like with any tool, let "it" do the work. Of course I'm echoing my father and every other father, alive.

Dax

• ConiferJosh (6a IN)
    8 years ago

Hello Dax,

Just wondering how the Abies koreocarpa 'Inga' has fared in the last few years. Was thinking of getting one myself.

Thanks,

Josh

• gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mine died last fall after having transplanted it that spring. I grafted a few that look really good but they're only a few 3" tall of a scion. So ---- it's going to take a while to have a decent sized plant once again.

Dax

• ConiferJosh (6a IN)
    8 years ago

Ah, sorry to hear…

Thanks for the quick reply!

Best,

• plantkiller_il_5
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Dax , first pic labeled northern flicker,,,second should have been southern flicker

ron ha

• gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ron, I'm getting worried about you son.

Dax

• gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow what a neat bird. My first exposure to this type.

Dax

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!