Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

Some conifers I grafted.

maple_grove_gw
9 years ago

Conifers I grafted this winter are starting to push. I thought this would be a good time for some photos:

Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns'

{{gwi:688756}}

Pinus nigra 'Black Prince'

{{gwi:688757}}

Pinus pungens 'Doughton Park'

{{gwi:688758}}

Abies koreana 'Kobalt'

{{gwi:688760}}

Abies concolor 'King's Gap'

{{gwi:688762}}

Picea omorika 'De Ruyter'

{{gwi:688763}}

Picea abies 'Anita's Golden Cloak'

{{gwi:688764}}

Abies concolor 'Scooter'

{{gwi:688765}}

Abies koreana 'Blauer Eskimo'. Double graft, bottom graft pushed first.

{{gwi:688766}}

Abies lasiocarpa var. arizonica 'Glauca compacta'. Double graft, top graft pushed first.

{{gwi:688767}}

Pinus banksiana 'Wisconsin'

{{gwi:688768}}

Pinus strobiformis 'Loma Linda'

{{gwi:688769}}

Abies koreana 'Kohout's Icebreaker'

{{gwi:688770}}

Abies lasiocarpa 'Utah'

{{gwi:688771}}

Abies koreana 'Goldener Traum'

{{gwi:688772}}

Lastly, here's a scion I collected from a low-growing clone of Picea orientalis 'Skylands'

The mother plant is an interesting plant, though maybe it's just a plagiotropic form made by grafting a side branch, prone to reversion. It does makes a nice bush:

Thanks for looking.

-Alex

This post was edited by maple_grove on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 19:54

Comments (19)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Good work, Alex and some nice choices. Thanks.

tj

• sluice
    9 years ago

Fantastic results! Thanks for the tour.

• hungrymind
    9 years ago

Yes, thanks for the tour! Grafts pushing just make spring all the better.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Kinda envy someone that can graft that well.....

Pinus pungens 'Doughton Park'? Is that a broom?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

The mother plant is .... a nice bush:

===

you have me enthralled .. until you called it a bush ... lol ...

man.. i dont even recognize most of those ... hint, hint... lol ...

you do this all in the house.. whats your protocol for moving them into sunshine????

congrats ...

ken

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Way nice Alex !

• scpalmnut
    9 years ago

Looks like you have been busy Alex. To answer the question asked about the Pinus pungens, yes it came from a broom that I found in North Carolina.

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks tj, Nate, Rob, beng, Ken, Al, and Scott!

What's wrong Ken, you don't like bush? It seems more appropriate than "shrub" in this case...what would you call it?

In about 2-4 weeks I'll start cut back on the humidity and open the chamber over a period of ~2 wks. Then they go into filtered shade under a deciduous tree. I may try something new this year and leave some of the more sensitive plants in the artificial GH until the fall, then harden them off and bring them outside in early October.

beng, Scott's find 'Doughton Park' is one of the only Pinus pungens brooms yet found, maybe the only one, and it's very choice! More information and pictures can be found here.

Alex

This post was edited by maple_grove on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 10:44

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Fun to look at. You're getting the hang of it real well, Alex.

Where did you get all your fir rootstocks? It appears most or all are Korean.

Dax

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Dax! That means a lot coming from yourself.

You're right, I exclusively used A. koreana understock for grafting firs this year. They're from Itasca Greenhouse.

Alex

This post was edited by maple_grove on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 16:46

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Good call man. I love grafting on Korean fir. They're so juicy. I'll put a thread in a few minutes.

Dax

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, there's a lot to like about the Korean fir understock. Nice and juicy, and the green cortex layer is so thick. A good selection for the climate here, so any problems growing out the plants will not be the fault of the understock at least. Plus koreana makes such a beauiful tree in its own right. I wanted to save a few to grow as species trees, but I couldn't do it in the end, ran out of understock.

Of the 50 that I ordered from Itasca, 2 turned out to be balsamea. I didn't even graft on those, didn't bother to waste my time...

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I always think of shrub as a more sophisticated term than bush.
    I had a customer say to me, "I want a lot of booshes". I guess I associate bush with brush, and shrub with landscape material.
    Nice grafting Alex! I like your choices too.
    Mike

• gardener365
    9 years ago

All correct, Alex. You just don't want to graft anything too fast to Koreana. Canaan is still a good choice though.

I tried to convince Jason Hupp to grow Abies x koreocarpa for grafters but there are too many "old timers" that he thunk wouldn't buy them. Talk about cornering the market if anybody had a brain or the balls to do it.

Pinus armandii would be nice to have around too. It should replace strobus because it doesn't suffer in greenhouse conditions (water"" humidity-)

Dax

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

maple_grove, what's the rootstock on that P pungens? I know Scots pines are commonly used for hard-pine rootstocks.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Fantastic selections and fantastic work!

Josh

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Beng, it'll be sylvestris. Most grafters would if they had it, put it on ponderosa. If however a 2's and 3's needled-pine takes on sylvestris, it's good forever.

Dax

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Josh!

beng, the Pinus pungens broom is indeed grafted onto Pinus sylvestris understock.

Alex

• treeforme
    9 years ago

Alex,

those are amazing! I am in Salt Lake and would love to come see your grafts sometime if possible. You can email me at thaynedavis @ gmail.com. Thanks!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia