Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thetman_gw

White Spruce- any thoughts?

thetman
11 years ago

I was thinking of planting some white spruce this spring. I am not that familiar with them and was curious if anyone here has some experience/opinions on them, good or bad. My nursery is getting some in soon. I am in SE Massachusetts. Thanks in advance

Comments (18)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

Picea glauca ... is a forest tree.. with much great potential .. see link ... perhaps not fit for suburbia ....

there are about a billion named cultivars that are much slower growing.. and much more decorative..

if you have been breathing for your life.. most likely you know the most common.. the dwarf alberta spruce ..

so anything specific you are wondering about.. whats your application ???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• thetman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I Just want to build up an area for a windbreak/privacy. Right now I have some Norways, green giants, blue spruce and a couple fat alberts. I wanted to try something different, keep the variety going. Just not sure if it does well in this situation, does it have the usual pests-problems. They will be in full sun

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

White spruce is fine when young, gets a bit ratty with age around here (at least the ones I've seen, planted in hot, dry locations). Other than that, it is a beautiful tree in its native range, with a powdery white tone to the needles.

I actually prefer Red spruce (Picea rubens), with the much deeper green needles, larger potential, and picturesque, down-and-out sweeping branches.

The three Eastern spruces (Red, Black & White) should all do fine in SE MA.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

for a long sight block..

and in the name of diversity ..

GO FOR IT ...

i was thinking 100 by 100 foot lot ... yikes.. way too much potential...

ken

• thetman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have Ken's blessing- thats gotta mean something? seriously though, I'm talking maybe planting 3 or 4 out of a total of 30 or more trees. the area is around 350 feet long. I just wanted to mix it up a bit, so when driving into the property your not looking at all the same stuff. As for not aging well- honestly if it looks good for the next 20 years I will be happy. Not sure where I will be after that. Let the next homeowner worry about it.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

I've seen your planting(s) and they're wickedly cool. If it were me, I'd skip white spruce as they are rather plain. I think you'd see better mileage from both Picea orientalis and Picea omorika. I really mean it, Picea glauca is a very plain looking tree. More plain looking than a green Picea pungens that has a dull green color. A bright green Picea pungens is superior-looking to a Picea glauca.

What else are you planting?

Dax

• thetman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Gardener, those are great choices too-think they would be good for windbreak? I could probably get the serbian at my nursery ( even though they didn't seem to keen on it, I think they mentioned not as hardy for windbreak conditions). I would most likely have to mail order the oriental spruce. But I like the look of both. Right now I am not planting a lot. I have some more fat alberts & green giants going in this weekend ( along with some various maple trees, sunset and blood-good, I know not conifers but Like them). Well the white spruce haven't come in yet- but when they do they will call me, maybe I will add a few Serbian spruce to the order.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Serbian: fantastic windbreak. I lined one entire side of my property with seedlings in 08. That side of my property is blasted with winter wind. They look as colorful as the day they were planted. In fact, I've never seen a square inch of burn on any of them. You still outta try to grab, if you wish that is, three orientalis.

Dax

• thetman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok, my arm is twisted. Seems my variety has grown a bit more. thanks for the info- good to know. I might try to get a few for this weekend then! But I still might pick up a few white spruce...Ha

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Rebel.

Dax

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Agreed that Serbian spruce is certainly hardy enough for a windbreak. One thing to consider though is, if you've got White Pine Weevil in your area, that it is susceiptible and may need spraying for the first several years to prevent leader dieback. Has happened to me.

One other suggestion, if you're going to get the P. orientalis...take a look at Picea orientalis 'Aureospicata.' Eleven months out of 12 it looks like a regular species tree, but when it starts pushing in spring, the new growth is bright gold, making for an interesting contrast with the existing dark green foliage. By summer the color has changed to green. Very interesting IMO.

Alex

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

Nothing wrong at all w/white spruce, at least in a cooler climate. Below is not my pic, but I've seen similar ones nearby in zone6:

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

If your area is experiencing anything like the level of needle blight that P. pungens is around here, I'd not bother with it. Beautiful trees when healthy to be sure, that's just getting to be a rare thing.

On the other hand, especially for your application, white spruce should last a good, long time. They'd be my favorite forest spruce if not for the existence of P. abies, which while not native, is superior in most respects. But you already have some of them!

+oM

• thetman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nice pic. Yes I have had problems with pine weevil eating the tops of my norways only. No problems on the blue or fat alberts, go figure. But I did find some bag worms last year for the first time on one of the fat alberts. Needle blight always scares me. I see the pictures and read the stories, I've had some spruce just die out rather quickly. the exact reasons I'm not sure. one year it was a bad surge of spider mites because of our very dry winter and spring. sometimes it just may be the soil or just never recovered from being cut for B&B. The nursery was out of the serbians, but says they should get some more in soon. Maybe I should buy some small ones online, not sure what a good source would be though.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Right here my boy!

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Serbian & Oriental Spruce

• thetman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the link, easier on the body planting small. Plus you are able to get a wider variety of stock.

• hungrymind
    11 years ago

Tman, I know you are talking species white spruce,how about a cultivar Picea glauca'Pendula' tucked into a special place.It grows a little slower so it could be tucked in a spot where it would be seen to put a smile on your face every time you passed. Just my two cents! I am a little partial to the white spruce for other reasons though!
    Rob

• thetman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

weeping white spruce? yes googled a few pics, looks very nice. I think something like that would most likely be an internet order. seems the nursery is that I deal with ( which is pretty large) is getting fewer stock in this year due to many growers going out of business due to the economy. I think in the near future I am going to have to put together a small order of some stuff. great suggestions.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm