Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

spacing

the long view from the north

closer from the NE

from above... and the west

and the plants are:

St mary on the left margin.. really thinking about her going ... as soon as i get a few more minis...

across the top .. from st mary .. on the pic below .... hope you know retaining wall for scale [went out later and measured ... when i move 'Nadelkissen' about 4 inches towards st mary.. they will all be at least 24 inches apart.. sure doesnt look like that in the pic]

Abies koreana 'Nadelkissen'
Abies veitchii 'Rumburk'
Picea pungens 'Ruby Teardrops'

then right to left .. closest to you
Abies koreana 'Green Carpet'
Pinus mugo 'Ophir'
Abies procera 'Blaue Hexe'

yes dax.. i know i am not on your 40 year plan.. lol ...

show me yours and its age.. if it is truly too large for this spacing.. i am hoping for 10 to 15 years ...

they would have already been planted.. if not for the 3 hour wall repair ... [ i am getting real tired of small moles]

thx

ken

ps: gold star for who anyone who knows what is missing... lol..

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 8:02

Comments (15)

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

Awww...no more Larix.

• outback63 Dennison
    11 years ago

Ken,

Spacing looks spot on for these cultivars.

The Abies koreana 'Nadelkissen' a slow grower will have a hard time keeping up with the rest at 1 inch a year. I would remove the 'St. Mary's' as soon as you have replacements for that area. It is long past prime.

You will be dealing with an out of balance presentation looking up to the wall. For me I would remove the St. Mary's along with the yellow juniper stopping there and keeping the upright at the end of the porch. A good break off point.

Just my opinion. Sometimes we don't agree but that's where I would be headed.

Dave

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i agree in toto ...

how about the rest of you ...

ken

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

I really realy like the gold monster juniper draping over the side of the wall. Hides the deck and flows over the wall with great color. looks fantastic and ideal for that location to me but in my opinion large monster plants don't go too well next to minis unless they are tight and more formal looking. I would want to pair another large gold juniper on the left side where the minis are and move the minis to another space or leave the mini's and remove the juniper.

If you remove the juniper this would give you more space for more mini's and there's not a better location for mini's than a really high raised bed where they can be easily viewed.

The best replacement for 'St. Mary's Broom' is right in front of you, 'Ruby Teardrops'! I think that 'Ruby Teardrops' would encroach on the other minis in just a few years in it's current location. From the looks of it Ruby will have a pretty decent growth rate after established. Well, faster than the mini's or St. Mary anyway.

So if your going to make it a mini bed I would plop Ruby right were St. Mary used to be, remove the juniper and planet mini's all around. To me that would look the most balanced.

Just another thought for ya. =)

This post was edited by garen59 on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 12:09

• gardener365
    11 years ago

LOL KEN! You read my mind. I was sipping coffee thinking - MOVE THAT RUBY TEARDROPS back toward your house . . .

lol,

Dax

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Oh my GOSH, I didn't realize it was in the front and all the others were that close to each other!

NOW I'm really laughing!

My sincerest (Not) apologies....

Dax

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Last post from me:

Get rid of St. Mary's and the Juniper and space all your new plants i.e. better.

Ruby Teardrops is fast-growing..just sayin'. So, totally agree with you guys.

Dax

Original Author
    11 years ago

glad to know i woke you up this morning dax ... lol ...

ken

• ricksample
    10 years ago

What about putting that Ruby Teardrops where the St. Marry is? That will give you a little more room to space them out a little better. Then on that corner (where you currently Ruby Teardrop), put something like Juniperus horisontalis 'Mother Lode'? I think something yellow would look good spilling over that wall.

Original Author
    10 years ago

processing all the info so far ...

man i really dont want to kill st mary.. she was one of my first ... hence the prime location.. but she is ugly as heck

and the ruby was placed where it is.. so i can see teh cones.. putting it 4 feet back.. isnt going ot make pix easy ...

what about a majestic butterflies ginkgo in her spot.. get a little height ...

and daubs frosted was my second.. and i know that monster has to go.. but OMG.. its killing me ...

i forgot how much i hated that plastic lathe ... and there is it now ....

maybe i ought to talk unpro into creeping over in the dead of the night.. and killing them for me ... lol .. gold star man ...

ken

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Re the St. Mary's. Take your own advice and "be done with it".

How about staggering/offsetting the plants. You have them lined up like soldiers. Gets some deciduous in there too. Too much of the same.

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Ken,

I got rid of my first one last year.

Picea alcoquiana Howell's Dwarf. Planted in 1998.

It has other names. I am not sure who's on first now. ACS has it as Pices bicolor 'Howell's Dwarf'.

It found a new home as it had totally grown to big for my garden.

Can't say I miss it.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 17:53

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Even with RubyT.planted in the back row nearer the deck
    it will show cones above all the miniatures.Green Carpet is no slouch as a medium vigorous grower and the shape is so graceful it should be left untouched in my judgement....in
    10 yrs,a six' circle.Heres something off the wall,how about a
    Twombleys red sentinel for a vertical accent .Its so fastigiate it'll fit anywhere and as a bonus the leaf color happens to be,yep ,the same as the Ruby cones.I just went outside and checked.....also counted 95 new red cones on
    the pungens the same size as yours.Good luck Ken and don't forget whos got Twombleys in 3 sizes.Doug

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

>>> I dont want to kill st.mary...but she is ugly Wow...Thats coming from 'Hang them high Ken' lol
    These guys above are dispensing great ideas!
    `AL

• Garen Rees
    10 years ago

I have a hard time killing anything intensionally unless it's weeds or I can put it to good use, like firewood.

Ken, you have plenty of space. Don't kill your old friend just transplant St. Mary to another bed that's not in such a prime location. Create a bed and label it "Crytal Springs Retirement Bed for conifers past their prime". =)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz