o
is this a dwarf conifer?

Posted by olreader 5b CO (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 18:28

what kind?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this a dwarf conifer?

closer up (I edited to add a different pic here, the first close up was blurry maybe this is better)

This post was edited by olreader on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 19:38

o

It looks like a Picea pungens 'Montgomery' on a standard, to me. There are other cultivars that look very similar, though.

o

Thanks! I will try to look that one up.

Does on a standard mean on a standard sized lower trunk, or does standard mean flag(pole) like royal standard, standard bearer etc., or does standard mean something else.?

o

In this context, 'standard' means 'ball on top of a stick', I guess from the flagpole usage. Done by pruning off the lower branches, and/or by grafting the dwarf cultivar on top of a tall stem instead of at ground level.

The converse is 'feathered', which means natural, with branches all the way down to the ground.

Resin

o

looks like St Mary Broom to me ...

do you understand what DWARF means???

if a momma Picea pungens grows 8 to 12 inches per year ... a dwarf version of her.. grows less.. say 3 to 6 inches...

if you look at the pic... but w/o a scale.. looks to me.. that the branch ends.. grew about 4 to 5 inches last year ..

so yes.. its a dwarf ..

of course.. the standard actually answers the question.. since you wouldnt put a robust version on top of it ...

when you get into dwarf Picea Pungens... blue spruce.. they are a dime a dozen.. and you might be hard pressed to actually name the particular cultivar ... maybe joy can ... most of us guess ...

ken

o
RE: again

again.. with no scale.. its tough.. but i happened to walk by my st mary ... and it looks like it grows about 3 inches per flush.. and yours looks longer ...

so .... perhaps i withdraw my guess ...

they have this type of pungens in front of every mickey Ds in SE MI ... i bet you might start spotting them around..

ken

o

I say it's PIcea pungens 'Globosa'. Pretty much the norm for pungens on a standard around here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Globosa' on standard

o

I agree with Dave. Readily available at Home Depot.

o

Thanks everyone, I will try to pay better attention to the "blue" in the Colorado Blue Spruce, my excuse is that I'm slightly colorblind. We have a big Picea pungens and once in a while when the light's right it really does look blue to me.

I planted a few dwarf conifers last week, dwarf meaning like a foot high, so everyone here is noticing them more and mor and someone asked me if that lollipop was a dwarf conifer, and I said I'd ask gardenweb and took a pic with my phone.

When non-conifers start to leaf out I will have questions like What kind of maple? Is this a rose? But don't worry, I'll ask in other forums....

o

Thanks everyone, I will try to pay better attention to the "blue" in the Colorado Blue Spruce, my excuse is that I'm slightly colorblind. We have a big Picea pungens and once in a while when the light's right it really does look blue to me.

I planted a few dwarf conifers last week, dwarf meaning like a foot high, so everyone here is noticing them more and mor and someone asked me if that lollipop was a dwarf conifer, and I said I'd ask gardenweb and took a pic with my phone.

When non-conifers start to leaf out I will have questions like What kind of maple? Is this a rose? But don't worry, I'll ask in other forums....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here