Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doke88

Can somebody identify this please?

doke88
12 years ago

I'm new to landscaping and my wife and I have four of these on the side of my house when we moved in. We like it and want in the front yard, too. The one pictured is about 3 feet and there are three others about 4-6 feet. Being a total novice I asked this in the shrub section and the guy there told me it was a conifer and should come here because somebody here would surely know. So I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

{{gwi:250906}}

{{gwi:250911}}

Comments (14)

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

Great foliage, Y-Dog. It's either an arbor vitae-Thuja species -of some kind, or a Chamaecyparis of some other kind.

+oM

• doke88
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My first guess was a hinoki cypress of some kind.

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

Thuja occidentalis !,cultivar ?
    Clement

• brentm
    12 years ago

Thuja plicata 'Grune Kugel'

-Brent

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

If Grune Kugel gets that big I'm in trouble...literature has it 12-24" in 10 years....that plant in the photo looks bigger! Mine are also wider than they are tall. But it does look like a Thuja...

• doke88
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The one in the photo is about 3 feet high and there are three others that are even bigger. One has to be 5 or 6 feet tall. I have no idea how long they've been like that, though, or if they'll get bigger because I've only lived here for a little while. They may get 20 feet for all I know!!

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Looks like Thuja occidentalis rather than Thuja plicata to me--probably a dwarf cultivar.
    Edwin might know the cultivar.. :0)

-Sam

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

in the original post in the shrub forum.. wherein i referred them to you gurus .. i said:

it reminds me more of an arb.. that i have as Thuja occidentalis 'Golden Globe' aka 'Globosa Aurea'

and one 'tell'.. is whether yours was ever sheared.. or if it is natural shape ... the one above.. grows in this shape.. all by its lonesome ... and you should be able to tell by sticking your head in it.. lol ...

coloration varies thru the year ... so i dont know if yours is the yellow version ... but you might want to change the search at the link to ... Thuja occidentalis 'Globosa'

good luck

ken

Thuja occidentalis Globosa Aurea .. natural shape.. never been sheared in my garden .. june 3rd 2011 coloration .. 3 to 4 feet .. get this.. lowes.. 2002 ... go figure.. lol .. one of the VERY FEW i bought at bigboxstore ... which means the name is probably wrong.. lol ..

{{gwi:690808}}

• doke88
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The one I have is more upright, though. It's definitely not round like that. It's more column shaped.

I think I'm going to go with a dwarf hinoki cypress in my front yard bed now. In researching what the one in the photo is I found that I really like that nana gracilis. Thanks everybody for your help.

• arceesmith
    12 years ago

This one appears to be growing in shade. Are they all in shade? My first suspicion would be Thuja occidentalis 'Woodwardi' because it has been fairly commonly grown for a number of years. 'Woodwardi' would tend to be a little more compact than what I'm seeing here, but that could be a result of the amount of shade they are growing in. Someone with more Thuja cultivar experience will recognize it I'm sure.

• doke88
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are all in shade for the most part. There is some sun during the day but they are on the side of the house where there is a stone path that is surrounded by a lot of different evergreen trees, and it has more shade then sun for sure.

• brentm
    12 years ago

probably just Thuja occidentalis 'Globosa'

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

You likely have at least two different Thuja occidentalis cultivars. One a globosa type and we'd need to see a pic of the others to see what they might be.

tj

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

I found several discriptions that this plant could be a Thuja occidentalis 'Thujopsoides'.
    Unfortunately there are no pics availlable for comparison...