Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Looking for a Small, Narrow Thuja Cultivar

I am trying to redesign my parterre garden area, and I need to find a better Thuja than the standard Arborvitae that were growing in my squares. I'm trying to find something very compact and small, that has a natural columnar shape. Golden tipped would be fantastic. Having a hard time finding what I'm looking for. I snapped a pic of this small thuja, cultivar unknown, growing at a public garden last fall, and this is what I'm basically trying to find:

{{gwi:690877}}

The cultivar needs to stay quite small, and amenable to pruning if possible. I'm open to any suggestions. Currently, I have Pittosporum 'Elfin' growing in the corners of my parterre squares, but it is a little more finicky than Thujas, in general, and this spot is a little tricky, as half the squares in my garden get a fair amount of shade being closer to the house, and the other 2 squares get much more sun and less water. Thujas just seem to be more tolerant of varying sun and soil moisture levels. Any suggestions welcome. I'm in S. California, not too far from the ocean, and have a pretty mild climate year 'round.

Patty S.

Comments (5)