Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
statenislandpalm7a

Where to find Calocedrus decurrens 'Berrima Gold'?

statenislandpalm7a
10 years ago

I'm looking for Calocedrus decurrens 'Berrima Gold'. Can anyone recommend an online nursery?

Comments (15)

• ogcon
    10 years ago

I would check with Jason at Western Evergreen.Doug

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is not on their availability list

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

Bloom River has claimed to me via email that they are sometimes able to get items from the major PNW wholesalers. Buchholz or Iseli surely has it. As for their standard mail order line, I've been very happy with orders from there.

BTW I've been told by a nursery owner that it doesn't do as well on the east coast as the normal green Calocedrus. This sometimes happen with variegated plants in alien climates...the variegation weakens them just enough that they lose the vigor that lets the cope with conditions different from their native range. I assume from your ID that you're on Staten Island.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 21:57

• ogcon
    10 years ago

I would still check with folks like Jason,he and others may not have it in large enough numbers to offer on a printed list.Check with Conifer Kingdom also.For whatever its worth,Berrima can be a bear for proper siting .It can burn
    quickly in the wrong position.Its also extremely unhappy about being moved around to find the best spot.For a more dependable Calocedrus,I'd give 'Maupinglow' a shot,though
    it will attain some size.Doug

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    10 years ago

Hi Doug,

I think over the past few years 'Berrima Gold' is a lot easier to locate the 'Maupin Glow' (note the correct spelling). The problem with these is that they are both difficult to propagate, so anybody who has them won't have them in large quantities.

I also think I saw a few 'Berrima Gold' in Bob Fincham's sales area at Coenosium Gardens. It would be worth shooting an email to Bob to see if he'd be willing to part with one.

~Dave

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Plant is for sale directly from Bloom River, but it's a bit on the expensive side. See the link below.

If you get one, please let us know how it does for you. After reading through this thread, I'd be interested to know how it goes for you here on the East Coast.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Morning,Dave.....Hows your 'Berrima Gold' doing?My latest attempt is still limping along.BTW,both Jason and Eric take
    large numbers of scions from the big 'Maupin Glow'you know where.The 20'er just gets better every year......more and more rich gold color.Maybe time for a retitled post?

• ogcon
    10 years ago

One last chime-in on the 'Berrima Gold'.......If you look at the Bloom River photo,check the bottom third of the plant
    and tell me if you see what I see.Bloom River is a quality operation in my experience and the owner is knowledgable
    but this plant may be experimental at best in the NE.Doug
    PS I'd like to hear about a successful planting of this somewhere in the NE

• PRO
    10 years ago

Hi Doug,

My 'Berrima Gold' is doing fine. This is its third year planted out in the garden so I expect a good push of growth this year. I'm not sure what you're looking at in the Bloom River photo. The old growth looks a little off-color and floppy to me and I'd probably just cut that stuff away at planting time.

$85 for a gallon can through . . . That's a lot of money for an experiment in zonal denial. Plus, the picture shows a lot of plant for a gallon pot -- almost certainly going to pot-bound.

~Dave

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Perhaps bound roots is the reason for what looks to be
    "wilted foliage".BTW Dave ,I'm wondering why you're hanging out on the Forum this morning and not planting
    the car-load of newly acquired booty I was drooling over yesterday.?A few pics would be most appreciated by all
    i'm pretty sure.D.

• PRO
    10 years ago

lol.

At the moment, it's a little too cold and foggy, but I am soon going to spring into action. I have two big projects to accomplish today, one of which is planting what I hauled up from Oregon. Hopefully the light is better by this afternoon and I'll take some pics for you all, including Calocedrus decurrens 'Berrima Gold.'

Apologies for hijacking the thread . . .

~Dave

• Mcpotts
    10 years ago

Found ours at Larry Stanley's nursery. Good size too.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

Mcpotts I recall you are somewhere in Virginia...yet you don't mention how this plant is doing for you?

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I got my 'Berrima Gold' at the ACS auction at the WR meeting last October! Not in the ground yet - I moved it up to a #2 and will let it attain a bit more mass before I plant it out so that it stands a better chance against the rabbits.

Sara

• Mcpotts
    10 years ago

Well, I just did a walk about and could not find any of our 'Berrima Gold'. We bought them at both Stanley's and Talon's. Most likely a water issue..not enough.