Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need some help identifying my pines

Posted by solrac6262 none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 19:47

Hello all
I need some help to know what type of pine is this?? or what it is, I would like to add some to my garden but its hard to tell what they are, I think they are arborvitae. not sure

thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us”>

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need some help identifying my pines

Uploaded with ImageShack.us>

o

Could be a juniper rather than an arborvitae. Almost certainly sheared, not its natural shape.

Can you get a close-up of the foliage? That would help identify it in more detail.

Resin

o

Thank you Resin
here is a picture

Uploaded with ImageShack.us>.

o

welcome to GW

lets bring you up to speed on the lingo ...

it is a conifer .... the others will tell you which ...

since it is a conifer.. it will have cones... but we will not call them pine cones.. since it isnt a pine ...

they will either be juniper cones.. or thuja [arbs] cones ...

its kinda inherent in the name ..

anyway ...

looks like whomever.. reached the extent of their ladder... they have been sheared to this shape for years....a job i began to hate in my late teens at mom and dads house ...

and then eventually .... they could not SAFELY reach any higher

it is geriatric.. is is overgrown .. and frankly ... time for it to be replaced ...

and what i would ask you to do.. is think long and hard about upgrading to some other conifers ... for that gorgeous house ... [even if that is the neighbors.. i am presuming yours is the same-ish] ... dont be in a hurry to simply go buy the same plant.. and replace grandpa ...

in our conifer world ... you can do A LOT better ...

if you wish .. get a pic of the whole front yard ... start a new post asking for suggestions for different plants.. and dont forget to include where you are.. zone.. soil type.. etc .... [this is called enabling.. lol] ...

good luck

ken

o

Ken thank you so much for all this information.
yes they have been sheared for the past 5 years, also I hate the shape, but I have seen other pictures that shape looks like a cucumber and do like it, its my front yard, I was trying to let them grow a little in height and sides, not trimming them this year,
using your info I was able to google for the right one, I think they are eastern arbrorvitae, they have tiny light blue berrys with just a little bit of green..

it would be hard for me to replace the 5 that I already have, any other suggestion?
by the way im in TX and soil has lots of clay

again thanks so much for the info.
here is a better pictures

Uploaded with ImageShack.us”>

o

If it has tiny berries, then it is a juniper, I'm not sure, but I think it's virginia juniper (juniperus virginiana).

o

thanks and yes it has tiny round bluish with little bit of green in it..

o

Yep, definitely a juniper; agree with curcubeu, most likely Virginia Juniper Juniperus virginiana

Resin

o

thank you guys

o

OMG.. they look like a gang of radical pineapples... lol ...

i claim no expertise on TX capable conifers ...so good luck with that ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here