Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Larix / Pseudolarix gallery, 2011

I wanted to add a few photos this year because they look sooo interesting in early Spring. Few plants get more questions in my garden then Larix.

Larix kaempferi 'Pendula'

{{gwi:692426}}

Larix kaempferi 'Diane'. Strange and contorted, this great cultivar so far is very happy in this large pot and this also allows you to get up close an enjoy the wild foliage.

{{gwi:692429}}

{{gwi:692431}}

Larix kaempferi 'Wolterdingen'. One of the most established plant in my gardens, this plant grew prodigiously the first two years and has now really slowed down, maybe 2-4" a year. I've planted clematis beneath it because I always find it wonderful to have a conifer blooming a few times a year.

{{gwi:692432}}

Last years gallery linked below.

-Will

Here is a link that might be useful: Larix/Pseudolarix gallery, 2010

Comments (32)

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Great photos, Will. The larches are one of my favorite conifers, as well. It's hard to choose just one. ;-)
    That's one of the largest Wolterdingen I've ever seen! Is that an Abies cephalonica in the background?

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

Larix kaempferi 'Jakobsens Pyramid'

{{gwi:692433}}

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Nice pics Will!
    Please change 'Diane' into 'Diana' which is named after the God of the hunters.

Be carefull with planting a Clematis nearby your 'Wolterdingen', it can strangle it's branches...

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Euan, it's 'Jakobsen's Pyramid' instead of 'Jakobsens Pyramid'.
    It's found as a seedling selection by Arne Vagn Jakobsen from Denmark.

• steg
    12 years ago

Cool pics, Will. Hey, what is two pots to the right of your 'Diana'? Is that an aristata?

Steg

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Is that an Abies cephalonica in the background?

Yep Sam, 'Meyer's Dwarf'.

Cool pics, Will. Hey, what is two pots to the right of your 'Diana'? Is that an aristata?

Ya... species I've grown in a pot for three years now. It does wierd things usually and has 'foxtail' like foliage.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    12 years ago

Thanks for these pics.
    I like Larix kaempferi 'Jakobsens Pyramid' but assume PNW nurseries often graft it onto L. decidua since they don't have to worry about root rot. On the hot humid east coast we do.
    I read this about rooting Larix: it can actually be done if the plant from which the scion is taken is a seedling/juvenile plant Here's a Larix kaempferi in the suburbs of Harrisburg, PA.
    {{gwi:692434}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

David, also for you it's 'Jakobsen's Pyramid' instead of 'Jakobsens Pyramid'...
    I just menioned this 4 messages ago!

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

Here is my Larix mastersiana im sure its the real thing
    grown from seed from fw schumacher.

{{gwi:692435}}

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    12 years ago

thanks Blue Yew.
    Thanks for the correction coniferjoy, even though it's a minor one and it's possible I'll forget again. At least I spelled Jakobsen correctly. Tell me...is it pronounced Yah-kob-son? On foodie forums I'm sure people use Wegman's/Wegmans interchangeably; I accept that we horticulturalists are a pedantic lot.

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Indeed, you spelled Jakobsen in the right way, a lot of times it's wrongly spelled in Jacobson ;0)
    The pronouncing in the Scandinavian language is as you mentioned, Yah-kob-son.
    In the Netherlands we pronounce it in the same way.

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

David

can you post a photo of your Larix mastersiana?

Thanks

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    12 years ago

Here is one. I would say the needles are not quite fully expanded, our spring has been behind the UK's this year. Also the plant is in full sun, maybe yours is in a bit of shade?

{{gwi:692436}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• jaro_in_montreal
    12 years ago

Sadly, I never did get any of those Larix mastersiana seeds to germinate....

• ykli
    12 years ago

Hi,

Our Larix Kaempferi Wolterdingen. It grows quite slowly.

{{gwi:692437}}

Philippe

Here is a link that might be useful: Larix Kaempferi Wolterdingen album

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Pseudolarix amabilis
    {{gwi:692438}}

-Sam

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Larix kaempferi 'Diana'
    {{gwi:682509}}

Larix gmelinii 'Dortmund'
    {{gwi:682506}}

Larix gmelinii 'Romberg Park'
    {{gwi:692439}}

Larix laricina 'Newport Beauty'
    {{gwi:692441}}

Larix laricina 'Blue Sparkler'
    {{gwi:692443}}

-Sam

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    12 years ago

I've read of the hybrid Larix plantations in southern England all having to be cut down because of infection w/Phytophthora ramorum aka Sudden Oak Death. I thought this was bad enough but hold out hope the USDA will manage to keep it out of the Eastern USA. (might be wishful thinking) However, I just read elsewhere, either in "New Trees" or the RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening, that several huge Larix in England have also been killed by Armillaria aka honey fungus! Some variant(s) of which are already well established throughout the USA!
    With an 100+ year old Larix decidua still scraping by at Oatlands, Virginia, I can't believe any current pathogens would pose a problem. (not to mention several large trees at Longwood) But future ones worry me, since I plan to have several Larix for the overstory for my camellias and rhododendrons. I'm not placing all the eggs in one genus though: other overstory deciduous conifers will be Taxodium and Metasequoia, though I think these are probably thirstier.

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

kaempferi 'Paper Lanterns'
    Apparently named such for the ornamental cones that give the appearance of Japanese paper lanterns during the winter when foliage is absent.
    seems to have a pyramidal form, skyrocketing upward at 12+"/year
    {{gwi:692444}}

laricina 'Newport Beauty #7'
    {{gwi:692445}}

I think it would be great to continue this photo gallery once the larches get their awesome fall color.
    Post as the season changes!

-Sam

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Pseudolarix amabilis in its fall glory:
    {{gwi:692446}}
    {{gwi:692447}}
    {{gwi:692448}}
    {{gwi:692449}}

-Sam

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Very nice, Sam!
    What a great pleasure to stroll through this Gallery again.

Josh

• botann
    12 years ago

Pseudolarix amabilis at Kubota Gardens in Seattle.
    I'm not a real fan of the tree. I've never seen a good looking one, I guess.
    Picture taken in the third week in April 2009.
    I used to live a few blocks from there in the late 60's
    So did Jimi Hendrix.
    Mike

{{gwi:692450}}

• conifer50
    12 years ago

Pseudolarix does great in North Georgia....I think I've got 10 or more planted?

Johnny

This pic is one of two in my front yard...the other pics are at my farm.

{{gwi:692451}}

{{gwi:692452}}

{{gwi:692453}}

{{gwi:692455}}

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

I love how the cones change color! Thanks so much for sharing.

-Sam

• botann
    12 years ago

Nice pictures Johnny!
    Thanks for showing us a real nice specimen.
    I too, like the cones.
    Mike

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Larix gmelinii 'Romberg Park' in fall color:
    {{gwi:692457}}

-Sam

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Larix laricina 'Blue Sparkler' in fall color:
    {{gwi:692458}}

-Sam

• salicaceae
    12 years ago

David,

Armillaria has always been around, but it rarely is a problem on Larix in the US (only when off-site or stressed by poorly drained soils etc.). As for P. ramorum, I don't think it will be a big problem on Larix in the eastern U.S. as the environmental conditions seems to be pretty specific and not common in the east. That seems to be why the disease is restricted to the immediate fog belt in California. Larch canker is another story...

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Larix kaempferi 'Paper Lanterns' in fall color:
    {{gwi:692459}}

Larix laricina 'Newport Beauty' in fall color:
    {{gwi:692460}}

Larix decidua 'Cherry Valley' in fall color:
    {{gwi:692461}}

Post your larches as they change!

-Sam

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

I love the larches. Here are a few of my favorites.

Larix kaempferi 'Haverbeck'
    {{gwi:692462}}

Larix kaempferi 'Herynek'
    {{gwi:692463}}

I also have a weeping Larix that is weeping over a metal arbor. I was hoping it would get really full but is is one branch/leader going over the arbor with a stingy strands of branches weeping from the main leader. How long does it take to get full and beautiful as I've seen them in other peoples yards? Mine is about 9 years old now. I can't find a photo of it. I will have to get one this spring as it has lost it's needles already and looks awful naked.

All your Larix photos look wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Paper Lanterns got prettier:
    {{gwi:692465}}

Where are your larches?

-Sam

• sluice
    12 years ago

Larix occidentalis, originally purchased as plug from U. Idaho in spring 2009.
    I still haven't gotten around to planting it yet, although it doesn't seem to mind it's life in a pot.
    {{gwi:692466}}

Larix occidentalis (pic from July 2011)
    {{gwi:692467}}