Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning a Blue Atlas Cedar

Posted by highway Oklahoma (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 20:37

We had two blue atlas cedars planted several years ago. We have been told that they were planted too close to the house and now they are really getting large. Moving them is out of the question. We would like to know if we can prune the limbs on the side that is touching the house and also can the top be cut back? When is the best time to do this? I don't know our zone but we are in central Oklahoma. Thanks for any information.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning a Blue Atlas Cedar

What you are thinking of doing would absolutely ruin the trees. Forget that and have them removed.

Dave

o

Other than removing the branches where they attach to the trunk that are touching your house, there's really no other trimming you can do without absolutely destroying the tree and any beauty they have. Some might think removing those branches will also destroy the beauty of these trees, but you could remove some or all of the other lower branches to balance out the look of the trees. So, I kind of agree with Dave, either remove the trees, or remove the branches touching the house and possibly others at the same level to balance things out. Their is no trimming that can be done realistically to control the height of your trees without mutilating them in a manner in which they will never recover from or look good again.

o

do whatever you want with them ..

daves suggestion is always the last option ...

though i would probably skip right to it.. since you are going to make them look pretty ugly ...

the inherent beauty of a the perfect plant.. in the perfect spot.. allows the plant to grow perfectly ... with little or no care from you ...

once you start messing with it.. depending on your level of care/interest ... you will either end up frustrated as heck ... and do the dave ....

or you will put hours and hours of work/research into basically creating a bonsai .... and if that tickles your fancy.. go for it ...

but if you want a carefree landscape... suck it up.. and be done with it ..

good luck

ken

o

"daves suggestion is always the last option"... Ha..

Not always.... In this case...it should be the first.

This conifer derives its beauty from a balanced look. Start messing with it and it's like taking a fender off a car. The once beautiful car has lost its appeal and value.

Dave

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 7, 09 at 1:22

If you know how to prune or get someone who does this conifer is actually quite tolerant. It can even be used for bonsai.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here