Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Technique for pruning Seven Son Flower

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 21:24

I finally came across a nice multi stem bushy seven son flower.

Its only a few feet tall and I don't plan on doing any pruning for a couple years but just curious if there is a particular technique (and timing) for a creating a more dense bush like habit for this plant.

Is it the same as Taxodium and Larix (ie cut back hard early spring to the largest canes)?

Perfect example is at the link.

Edit: Damn it! Wrong forum...

Here is a link that might be useful: Seven Son Flower

This post was edited by whaas on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 21:25

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Technique for pruning Seven Son Flower

I would call this plant a tall shrub/ small tree. First time I saw this was on the campus of Swarthmore College in PA. It was about 12-15ft tall and maybe 6-8ft wide. I assume they did not do a lot of pruning . Be sure to give it some space.

Here is a link that might be useful: small tree

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 22:13

It has some space I just like the bushy look.. I planted one at my last house 2 years before I left.

Curious what it looks like now (ie filled in).

photo SDC10915.jpg

o

Thanks for expanding our horizons whaas! You sent me on a desktop vacation finding out more about Seven Sons Flower. Wikipedia says "The generic name of Heptacodium means 'seven flowers' (hence 'Seven Sons'), seven being the average number of flowers on a head. The specific epithet miconioides alludes to the similarities of the plant to the unrelated Meadow Beauty genus, Miconia."

Looks like Heptacodium miconioides is beautiful as both a shrub and small tree. Does it have any bad habits like aggressive roots or dropping litter throughout the growing season?

Barbara

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 9:59

Lol, no problem! Some hate it but others, like myself, love em. Nothing beats an August/September flowering tree. Hummingbirds and bees love em.

The only issues I've come across are canker, which seem to be more of an issue in the midwest and east coast and then they can be somewhat variable in shape and density.

First came across one at the Chicago Botanic Gardens (yes I love this place).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here