Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lou_spicewood_tx

My semi-weepy BC grown from seed

lou_spicewood_tx
11 years ago

A few years ago, I came across a very nice looking BC a few miles from me so I collected cones.

{{gwi:331965}}

This is my 3 or 4 years old seedling off that tree.

{{gwi:694324}}

{{gwi:694329}}

{{gwi:694331}}

{{gwi:694333}}

Comments (15)

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Superb!

+oM

• gardener365
    11 years ago

That tree is awesome.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

thats 3 or 4 years old ??? .. crimminey.. you got a long growing season ....

how long does it lose its needles for ...???

ken

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Excellent specimen! And yes that is the largest 3-4 year old plant from seed I have ever seen.

• sluice
    11 years ago

Nice! Looks like it's really taking off.

• taxo_man
    11 years ago

Nice!!! That is a very unique looking.
    Taxodium distichum 'Lou' ? : )

Jeff

• gardener365
    11 years ago

It's all in the Rootmaker/Whitcomb propagation method.

Dax

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Great specimen, Lou. Thanks for the pics.

tj

• treeguy123
    11 years ago

That's cool, the parent tree reminds me of: Taxodium distichum 'Pendens', there is a chance it could be 'Pendens'.

It would be very cool if your tree turns out even more weeping than the parent.

I have a weeping bald cypress: Taxodium distichum 'Falling Waters', but they are narrow weeping, I like broad weeping trees the best, that still have long hanging branches (like a weeping willow look).

• ltruett
    11 years ago

Seedlings from the parent tree tend to be interesting. I got around 100 seedlings growing this spring and gave Lou about 1/3 of them so maybe something new will show up.

{{gwi:694335}}

• blue_yew
    11 years ago

Nice

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everybody. Glad y'all liked it.

Ken - Last year was a lost year for growth. It started to look bad in June and wasn't sure what's going on so I decided to plant it to see if it helps. It stabilized but did not really grow new needles. I noticed the container media was rather dry despite daily watering so it could be the reason. It had several inches of dieback on all of branches and central leader so I'm pretty much starting all over this year. So far, it's looking pretty good now with 5 inches of growth s far (now 5.5 ft). Drops needles during late November and start in Mid-march although it started early in March this year.

Taxo-man - I sent scions out to a couple interested in trying them out so I called it Lou's Weepy BC. ;)

Treeguy - The parent tree doesn't appear to be 'Pendens'. The green color is rather dark green color compared to 'Pendens' that I looked at on the internet. I know what you mean by narrow weepy cypress. I planted a Montezuma cypress 'Sentido' and it's rather narrow with branches falling down. It's 15 feet tall and it can't be more than 4' wide.

Glad y'all liked this tree. I'll post more pictures every couple months.

• treeguy123
    11 years ago

It probably is different. I bet every once in a while you would be able to see a slightly weeping Bald Cypress in the wild, it's just rare. Much like weeping Juniperus virginiana trees I see, pretty rare, but I see a weeping one in the wild on occasion (like 1 in 10,000 trees or something like that, and some are better than others).

Just for info, 'Pendens' has been known back to 1939, and probably gained more attention in to 60s and 70s. You can see in the link below why I thought they look similar.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:694323}}

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Treeguy, that picture does look like the one I saw over here. Have you ever collected cones off 'Pendens'? The director of SFASU arboretum who has been collecting taxodium species across Mexico, USA and hybrids from China told me that the size of seeds from Midlothian cypress are in between Montezuma and Bald cypress.

• treeguy123
    11 years ago

I think the parent tree could easily be different because pictures of 'Pendens' pictures on the internet do seem a little more light green like you were saying. The lower limbs on that parent one might also be a little more weeping compared to 'Pendens', which would be really cool if so.

But if that tree was bought from a nursery and planted in the 60s to the 80s I think the chances go up a little of it being 'Pendens'. But if it was wild or grown from local seed than the chance of a natural local tree I think go up even more. Again I still think a natural tree is more likely.

No, I've never collected cones off 'Pendens', but that's interesting about the seeds, could be populations of ancient local hybrids that mixed together before the ice age when Montezuma Cypress may have been native up to where you are (climate was warm before the ice age, even palms grew up into TN and even farther north in some places) a lot of plants got pushed south over time during the ice age (technically we are still in a ice age speaking in long time scales).

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner