Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairfield8619

Keteleeria

fairfield8619
11 years ago

Just out of the box. These will have to be potted up I think until they can go it alone. Vaguely looks like the Cathaya to me at first glance. Glad to have them.

Comments (11)

• scpalmnut
    11 years ago

Nice addition to the rare and unusual collection. Where did you get them? Are they davidiana or evelyniana?

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are davidiana and came from Far Reaches Farm.

• salicaceae
    11 years ago

They look quite a bit different from my davidiana - I know there is a lot of variability in this species.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This would be the first that I've seen in person, I really don't know what they should look like.

• ospreynn
    11 years ago

I received my plant too... they have very long needles.. The source is suppose to be the Dayaoshan...

osprey

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"The source is suppose to be the Dayaoshan"

Looked that up; it's a long way south, in Guangxi prov.:
    Latitude: 23ð 30' N
    Longitude: 110ð E

So might not be a very hardy source.

Resin

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looks to be fairly mountainous so it would probably be ok for me. It has not been very cold here for many years. Low here this winter was 29F, at the old house the upright elephant ears have not died back for at least two years and now have "trunks" on them about 2ft tall and about 6in in dia. That tells you how warm it's been.

• ospreynn
    11 years ago

Only time will tell.... seems to be one of the southernmost stands of K. davidiana... I need it to be hardy to -10F!!!

• ian_wa
    10 years ago

I got one of these from them as well... I ought to be able to give it a good hardiness test.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

The highest elevation in the entire Guangxi province is only 7000 ft.; to the west the city of Kunming at 6200 ft. (and surrounded by higher mountains) has a 30 year low of 18F/-8C. The area those trees were supposedly collected shows up in Google Earth as having at most an elevation of 2000 ft. - unless they trekked through wilderness many, many miles north of there. Seems unlikely. It's probably in the "Longtan National Forest Park". Since Hong Kong isn't far away and its all time record low is 32F/0C, it's safe to assume this area's record lows are only in the mid 20s. And zn 10 normally. But, very few non-tropical plants seem to be less than 1 zone hardier than their native range, and are usually more so. It would seem they should at least be zn 8b hardy. The present day location where Metasequoia was discovered is certainly no colder than zn 8, but the plants have proven hardy to zn 5.
    So probably OK for Fairfield, not for me or Osprey.

BTW wherever they came from, kudos for Far Reaches Plant Farm for at least having them. They carry many super rarities and seem to be filling the niche left by the late lamented Heronswood, which once listed this plant.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 16:07

• ian_wa
    10 years ago

Well, there was one at the UW Arboretum for at least several years, that seemed not to have any problems with cold winters, anyway; until it was chopped by vandals. Although that may have been K. evelyniana, I can't remember.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!