Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

girdled roots?

Marie Tulin
11 years ago

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r764/mrtulin/IMG_20130413_145606_zpsbd358299.jpg

I am trying to learn how to use photobucket, please bear with me. I can't figure out yet how to get photo right into this message. if you can dowload the photo and give me advice, thanks!.
This is Taylor's Sunburst that I got at about 60 percent off, and I may have gotten exactly what I paid for. Bought it last fall. Loosened rootball, planted in unamended soil, being careful not to plant it too low. watered well into early winter and ground freeze
The other day I noticed a mass of roots on the surface, so I dug it up. I know I'm looking at a root that is girdling the trunk. It is not twisting completely around the trunk. I did not get all the soil off the root ball, and I didnt use my hand to trace the root into rootball to see what's going on further inside.
Tell me what to do. If I need to cut off the offending big root, do I just go at with my pruners as close to the trunk as I can.
I also have a couple of other questions but I'll post them separately with a photo of the problem. Next week I'll get a photo tutorial from my 20something.
idabean/marie

Comments (9)

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

FAIL!
    won't waste anymore of your time until I learn how to do it right.A search on GW turns up enough advice for me to take a stab/poke/cut. I know....don't let the roots dry out.
    Ken, you wrote a good explanation about optimal brutality in root pruning.
    I have such a good picture....I gotta figure this out....
    idabean

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

FAIL!
    won't waste anymore of your time until I learn how to do it right.A search on GW turns up enough advice for me to take a stab/poke/cut. I know....don't let the roots dry out.
    Ken, you wrote a good explanation about optimal brutality in root pruning.
    it appears I may have succeeded.....

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Sensitivity to air exposure varies widely with species.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

at photobucket... find the HTML code.. paste it where you type..

on preview.. if you see it.. we will see it...

guessing here.. plant the thing.. based on size ...leave the offender exposed [it looks like it will be exposed if planted at teh proper planting depth ] ..... in fall or next spring.. we will cut it ....

most of us do this on small 1 to 2 foot plants ... much more forgiving ... based on the size of your trunk.. i suspect a rather large transplant ... so i would worry about losing too much root mass at transplant...

otherwise.. its a pine.. pretty aggressive.. cold spring.. still early .... just plant it.. ... what do you have to lose ...

ken

{{gwi:694815}}

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I'd agree with Ken, unless its easier to pull out or cut further in now in order to bend the root out and get a cleaner cut.

Hopefully that made sense.

11 years ago

i wouldnt try to bend it out.. too much further damage potential to the rest ....

i would just snip it in two places.. in a year ... or fall ...

ken

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken, that's my photo! What a surprise. Well, your and BB answers are based on the picture, so I am reassured. I spent at least two hours reading about girdled roots in container grown trees. I should hesitate longer buying end of the season pot bound less-expensive trees.
    Is the offending root right at the collar of the pine? That was my next question, help me locate the collar.
    All I'm losing now is my ignorance.
    Thanks
    Marie/idabean

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, I meant whaas. It is about 4 ft from flare to tip.
    MT

11 years ago

Is the offending root right at the collar of the pine?

==>>> i would say.. yes.. basically.. close enough ...

kinda tells you a lot about who jammed it in that pot... dont you think.. what.. potted 6 to 8 inches too deep????

and had you not broken up the media.. and found this.. you would have planted it about 6 inches too deep.. and it would have died long before it strangled itself..

tree bark is not made to be constantly wet ... as ... lets call it.. root bark ... one likes dampness.. one rots in dampness ...

just plant it with the offender at soil surface.... so you can see it ... and cut offender in fall or next spring..

but lets be clear.. that root has probably been there many years.. it did not get that big from spring delivery.. to fall bargain ...

yes.. it was your picture.. because... as i told you.. i found the HTML code and pasted it where i typed ....

ken