Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Browning Shrub

Posted by cubanlilly Zone 5 (KS) (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 22:27

Hello! I have a flower bed that gets partial sun and has a low evergreen shrub in it. The bed around the shrub was recently tightly covered with mini boulders that have since been spread out to make room for river rocks to fill out the bed. Well since we moved the rocks and temps started warming up a bit here the shrub began to turn brown. We were surprised as its spring and we thought things would be going strong now. There is also a yew in the same bed that is sparse because of pruning but also has some needles turning brown. Do you all think it could be disease? We would love any help you all could give!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of Shrub

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Browning Shrub

No, not disease (it's a white pine - Pinus strobus) - and it probably died during winter and showing those signs, now.

Dax

o

Mountain Pine Pinus mugo; looks like it is dead. Impossible to make a diagnosis of the cause of death from this pic alone. When was it planted?

Resin

o

Well that explains why I thought it was Pinus nigra at first (a hard pine) and died from Pine Wilt Nematode. Irrelevant...

Dax

o

i cant see the buds ....

if the buds are viable.. and start extending ... then there is some chance of life..

it had nothing to do with you moving rock ...

pines are not really shade plants... but can tolerate such.. to some extent ...

do you see any whitish, fuzzy buds... ???

ken

o

Thanks for all the responses! I don't see any whitish fuzz. I have posted a new closer up pic below. I don't know when it was planted; we moved into the house in June and it seemed fine then (although it was obviously desperate for sun as it had spread itself out to try to reach a sunnier spot).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22365241@N05/5618893445/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22365241@N05/5619479522/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22365241@N05/5618889105/in/photostream/

o

The tree certainly does not look happy, although, to my inexperienced eyes, that last picture in the post above looks as if there might still be some life left in those buds. Whether or not it is enough to maintain the tree though....

Only bright spot - if the plant dies, you now have the opportunity to plant something that will be happier in that small shady area.

Holly

o

Thanks for mentioning to look for buds before discarding a yellowed shrub. My Picea koreana 'CIS" probably was not suited for zone 5a, though covered with 2 ft snow, is all yellowing now too. I can feel with you, cubanlilly.

o
RE: Browning Shrub 2

Sorry, Abies koreana 'CIS'.

o

So how can I know how much longer to nurture it and when to let it go? And is there anything I could do to help it along?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here