Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simplesue_gw

Best Fast Growing Conifers for Small Grove?

SimpleSue
10 years ago

Looking for recommendations for fast growing, tall, disease resistant conifers for a city yard.

Zone 6, Pittsburgh, PA
South-west sun

I've already googled stuff, so I'm actually asking for some personal experiences from fellow gardeners.

Wondering if anyone has planted a conifer grove. Not just a single specimen plant.

I want to create a view of trees instead of looking at houses and a looming high-rise building.

I'm imagining a group of 5-7 trees planted in a group towards the rear corner of back yard.

Thanks,
Sue

Comments (10)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

If your site is not oddly arid for the region I bet metasequoia would be the fastest and one of the most unique. The local botanical garden has a few lined up near some bald cypress and I love the effect. I have seen a couple 100 footers planted circa 1950. Think I recall reading the tallest we have is 140 foot or so and the late forties is the oldest it could be.

Go with a mix of different species of whatever you choose. That way if there is a bad year for heat or drought or some bug comes along it does not destroy your grove entirely.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:627557}}

• Mike Larkin
    10 years ago

What are the dimensions of your (planting ) space ?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

define the space dimensions ...

and define what you mean by a grove

and a pic sure wouldnt hurt ...

ken

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Without some dimensions and possible a picture, it's hard to give any pertinent advice. For instance, here's a 'small grove' in my garden. These trees are a little less than six feet tall. I'm sure you didn't mean this small, nor as large as Dawn Redwoods.
    Mike
    {{gwi:695147}}

• winterfell
    10 years ago

I thought i had replied earlier, maybe i didn't send it. Anyway, i like the idea of planting more than one species and also i would point out that for conifers, fast growing usually means the tree will eventually be quite large.

Three species to think about white pine Pinus strobus, red spruce picea Rubens, blue spruce picea pungens.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

mike.. your weird pic.. looks like a painting... got a new hobby??/

ken

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

I used to paint a bit, but gave it up years ago. Plants grow faster than I can paint. I never learned the game of chess until I learned to play it fast. Never could paint fast. Too self critical.

I like to prune trees and shrubs. In this case I pruned them to look like they belong in a smaller scale than if they were allowed to grow to full size. Sort of like Giant Bonsai. Just enhance what the tree would look like if it was growing in an old growth grove, on a sub-alpine windswept, rocky ridge up in the mountains.
    Here's another example of a Cryptomeria japonica, 'Jin Dai' pruned that way. It doesn't block a bad view though, as the OP requested.
    Mike
    {{gwi:695148}}

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Here's a picture of part of the garden that looks like a painting....or a puzzle.
    (I should start a new thread)
    Mike

{{gwi:695149}}

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

Mike, your gardens are simply enchanting! You should start a new thread and keep posting! How tall is that 'bonsai' tree? Sorry Sue, for hijacking your thread, but I had to comment on Mike's photos.

Sue, you need to provide the size of the area you want your plants in for appropriate tree recommendations.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

That's a cool effect, Botann. Would work wonders on a model-train layout.