Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new_gardener_2010

Emerald vs Skyrocket

new_gardener_2010
10 years ago

I have a spot in my yard along the fence line that I would like to plant 3 tall narrow evergreens. I really like the look of those tall narrow trees in France at the wineries. I think they are cypress.

I am thinking either Emerald Cedars or Skyrocket junipers.

Any opinions on what might work best?

I like a sculpted look, about 12-18 ft tall.
Area gets about 7hrs sun.
Zone 5

There are Emerald Cedars on sale this weekend both 1gal size and 5gal.

Make ant difference in which size to purchase?

I appreciate any help!! Thanks.

Comments (18)

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Degroots Spire might be another consideration

{{gwi:695156}}

Newly planted last year.

• hungrymind
    10 years ago

new gardener, After last weeks Ice storm I am thinking about taking out my Juniperus virginiana 'Skyrocket'. Also you want to make sure any Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd' (Emerald Green) have single leaders or they will splay out and look like crap like mine did! I planted mine before I knew any better!This is a great place to learn such stuff! Lets see what the rest have to say,you have come to the right place! I am pretty new here,but I do know they will show you what you want to know! Welcome!

Rob

• new_gardener_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion Johnny! I will certainly look into that one. I really like the foliage and from looking up online it appears to fill into a smooth shape as it matures.

I had no idea about choosing an Emerald with a leader Rob. Thank you so much for that information! I would not have known and would have very likely made the same mistake you did. The shape is really important to me as I'm hoping to do quite a formal garden with some box hedges and topiaries too.

• new_gardener_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And Rob, was your Juniperus damaged? What horrible weather we have been having! Maybe I should hold off on planting these just to make sure?

And thanks for the warm welcome!

This post was edited by new_gardener_2010 on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 8:29

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you list two plants.. that are oversold by bigboxstore ...

you can do sooo much better ...

no one will recommend the cypress you are thinking of.. especially since they dont grow in most of z5 ...

if you really want to find something.. you are going to have to use the latin names.. as many of common names are simply wrong .... and misleading .... e.g. you say emerald cedars ... well.. if they are what I THINK they are.. they are Thuja occidentalis 'Emerald Green' .. which means they are a thuja.. not a cypress.. and that means they are an arb.. and subject to snow load issue as they age ... if you have more than one leader ... see link ...

w/o seeing the spot.. its hard to recommend anything specific...

all said.. i suspect the sale is going to 'get you' .. lol

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: the point being.. you can search better with a latin name

• gardener365
    10 years ago

new:

If you can find Thuja occidentalis 'Malonyana' - it's referred as the 'Mediterranean cypress for cold-climates'. Another two plants to look into are:
    Juniperus virginiana 'Taylor'
    Juniperus virginiana 'Blue Arrow' aka J. chinensis 'Blue Arrow'.

All three of these satisfy your look you are trying to achieve.

Dax

• new_gardener_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info guys! I think I am going to pass on the sale then and do a little more research. I'm going up today to one of the largest nurseries in the area so hoping I can actually see some of these trees for myself rather than just trying to do internet searches and the like. And thanks for putting the bug in my ear about generic box store plants. Why not get out there and see a larger selection, right!

I'll try to reference the latin names in the future Ken. Though I couldn't figure out if the tree I was thinking of was a Thuja Occidentalis or Smaragd and then the different varieties, gees it's all so very confusing. I guess I have a lot to learn.

Oh and I wasn't looking to actually buy a Cypress! Sorry for the confusion. I only meant that I like the look of them. I know they would never grow in zone 5. I'd like to get something with a similar shape though, tall elegant and narrow.

By the way I came across the picture of your Degroots Spire Ken. Lovely tree. That is exactly what I am looking for! I read through the thread where you discuss leaders and such. This is really really helpful. I guess I would need to invest in a really tall ladder?

It's good to hear some of these are better in snow Rob and yes, I think I will take my time to pick out the right thing.

• new_gardener_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of the location. The three dead pots indicate where I am hoping to plant these 3 trees. The rose will be moved to another location.

Please forgive my pretty pathetic looking yard at the moment. Sadly we haven't had the weather to get out and get going on things.

Tammy

This post was edited by new_gardener_2010 on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 10:05

10 years ago

I think I am going to pass on the sale then and do a little more research.

==>> HOO-ZAH!!!!
    ===============

I was thinking of was a Thuja Occidentalis or Smaragd

===>>> OK.... latin.. three names.. Thuja ... species = occidentalis.. then a CULTIVAR NAME in quotes ... as in 'Smargard' .. also known a 'Emerald Green' ....

or more properly.. Thuja occidentalis 'Smargard' .... so when you said the above.. you said you are considering the same plant twice.. sorta ..... again.. this is so you can research and discuss things.. more easily ....
    ====================

===>>> By the way I came across the picture of your Degroots Spire Ken. Lovely tree. That is exactly what I am looking for! I read through the thread where you discuss leaders and such. This is really really helpful. I guess I would need to invest in a really tall ladder?

===>>> and what would you need the ladder for????

find a single leader plant.. plant it.. and ignore it.. and if in 20 years.. its too tall.. remove it ... and do ask how to PROPERLY PLANT CONIFERS .. when the time come ...

based on the width of you yard.. its really your only option .. IMHO ... in the Arb family ...

but check out the one at the link ... thin as thin is ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: Chamaecyparis nootkatensis `Green Arrow'

• new_gardener_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the name breakdown Ken. This makes more sense to me now and it was helpful today at the nursery!

So I went and they didn't have a lot in yet but apparently they will be getting 100 Degroot Spires in very soon so they said they would notify me so I could come have a look at them when they come in.

Also while I was there I was able to examine the structure of the Smargards just to see what you guys meant by "leaders." I think I know what you mean but I'm still not sure if I will be able to select the right trees. Anyone know if this topic has been covered any where on the boards? The Degroot Spires are going to be $100 per so it would be horrible to make some bad choices.

I will definitely check back on planting instructions Ken. Especially if I am spending this kind of money!

By the way referring to my top picture in my previous thread does anyone think it's a good idea to reroute that downspout to drain into the area where I'm planning to plant these trees?

P.S. regarding the ladder Ken, I meant that I might need it to remove a leader higher up if it was to split off later on? but then what do I know? Maybe they don't branch out that high up? Thanks for extra link as well but as much as it is a really unique looking tree I don't think it will provide that tight pyramid sort of shape I am going for.

This post was edited by new_gardener_2010 on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 23:04

10 years ago

put your hands together.. like you are praying.. there are 10 leaders there ...

stick up your middle finger.. that is one leader.. lol .. and that leader is what you should point at the 10 leader plant... [i gotta remember this one.. lol] ...

most arbs.. with 'one leader'.. will stick 'it' at snow.. it simply sheds off ...

if there are many leaders .. snow loads in between ... and pushes them apart causing severe bending and breaking .. as you should have seen at the link ...

$100 sounds a lot of a DSpire... i would think you could mail order one for half ... they grow about a foot per year.. and i wouldnt buy bigger than 4 to 5 feet ...

start with a single leader.. and you wont have to worry about it for another for a decade or so ...

ken

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

I know of no Thuja o. 'Smaragd' that is single leader and for sale on the open market. They are all multi-leader and mostly field grown. Stay away from this one as it is one of the first to go under heavy ice or snow load.

'Degroots Spire' can be purchased in any size. These were 1 foot specimens for $3.00 each 3 years ago. All hand picked for single leader growth. Now 3 feet tall. Start small and get choice plants.

{{gwi:695158}}

Dave

• new_gardener_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As they say a picture is worth a million words. In this case it took two pictures to get the idea through my thick skull. But I get it now.

Thanks Dave, now I know why I couldn't tell which Smaragds had single leaders. It's because none of them did!

And now Ken, I will know the ones to point the finger at and which ones to buy, lol. I will also know what to call them. haha.

Thanks for all of your help guys. I like this tree. I think they will be a good fit for the space. Now I just need to find some good small specimens at a reasonable price. At least it's still early season so I have a while to find some.

Will check back when I find them for some planting tips.

Tammy

• new_gardener_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally found my Degroot Spires!

Ken you mentioned I should check back when I got them for tips on planting.

Well here I am. Tip away guys!

• new_gardener_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• new_gardener_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

10 years ago

if you clicked on my highlighted name.. it would have taken you to my members page.. where you could have sent me an email ..

check the link.. and follow ALL the specifics ...

good luck

ken..

Here is a link that might be useful: link