Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danell_hiltz

Dwarf white pine yellowing

Danell Hiltz
11 years ago

Planted a dwarf white pine last year and it has been struggling, top most needles are yellowing and sluffing off. I fertilized in early March with Dr. Earth Life, no change so tested the soil Ph and found it was alkaline so added soil sulfer about two weeks ago. Still no change. Should I use an Azela type fertilizer instead? Pull it up and ammend the planting hole and surrounding area with Azela type planting soil? Candles have emegerd so should I cut back the candles or can I prune into the stem to shape?

Comments (4)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

No you cannot pruned them into the stem. That plant needs all the energy it can get, besides.

Follow the directions for your sulfur product and stop with the rest of the fertilizing. Ultimately (because of your soil type) you've created a situation that will require life-time applications of sulfur in order to keep the ph at a tolerable level.

Shaping pines is done by candle pruning, only. When the candles aka new-growth extends and the needles begin unfolding, you can cut the candle anywhere and from that spot a bud will form (for the next year). This is the only time you may prune a pine.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

OMG!!!

step away from the plant.. and leave it alone..

snap a pic if you want a real impression...

inside of 4 weeks.. you have fert'd it.. amended the soil for pH.. and now want to fert again ... crikely.. does fert and soil amendments work that fast thru the plant???

and all this on a plant that is not even yet 'established'.. being less than a year in situ ...

can we see a picture..

you are working on that curve i call.. LOVING A PLANT TO DEATH ....

and .. just yesterday someone called a spruce a pine.. are we sure on the ID????

BTW.. what you describe.. i would call winter damage.. and nothing need be done.. so get us a pic.. to SEE what you are talking about. ..

good luck ...

ken

• Danell Hiltz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL Thanks Ken, I'll step away. I don't have a camera so can't send a pic but thank you. All of the soil and compost was imported last year by a landscape designer, creating a large planting area and 3-4 foot mounds. I did not think to add something like cottonseed meal at the time and had no reason to test soil ph as I had a contractor doing the work but . . . now that I've actually tested the soil and found it to be quite alkaline (you know those little tester kits, well it came out hunter green) need I do something? All the other plants appear to be doing well. Granted the large Hinoki has some browing but that is to be expected; I simply added some iron.

Dax, you have me worried. You said I created a lifetime situation - what would you recommend for the future?

• Danell Hiltz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I probably should have come to you first before I getting advice from the Master Gardeners at the local Grange.