Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbguess_gw

Ginkgo biloba Spring Grove #22 ?

kbguess
11 years ago

A friend has a ginkgo that came labeled as "Spring Grove #22"... open, vigorous growth with small percentage of unusual leaves (tubes etc)

I can't find any information on this plant. Does it go by another name?

Thanks,

Keith

Comments (19)

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

I don't think there is another name. There were originally 4 brooms that were discovered. Spring Grove #85 was available from Larry Stanley and a few others under the name "Spring Grove". It has a unique scalloped edge to the leaf. It was recently given another name in the trade. The next time I am at Spring Grove I will see if they can show me the original #22 and get you more information.

On a side note the fourth broom was planted in an area that visitors do not have access to. I was fortunate to be given wood from that plant last winter and believe that it has the best attributes of all of the Spring Grove Brooms. Its leaf is deeply divided into two tubiformis lobes along with the scalloped edging. The original tree stands about 6-7 feet tall with twiggy growth. I am planning on taking one to the ACS meeting in Michigan for the auction. If you are going to the meeting let me know.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Keith, Ginkgo biloba 'Spring Grove #22' doesn't exist.
    Ginkgo biloba 'Spring Grove #86' does exist which is renamed in
    Ginkgo biloba 'Jehoshaphat'...

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

I'm sorry Bax, I was only familiar with one Ginkgo broom from Spring Grove...
    I didn't know that they found 4 Ginkgo witches' brooms which is pretty much :0)
    I'm also interested in the additional info about these brooms.

The Spring Grove Arboretum must be a paradise for finding brooms, they also found one named Picea orientalis 'Spring Grove #47', a Pinus korainensis 'Spring Grove' and an Abies cilicica 'Spring Grove'.
    Please can you also ask them for the numbers for the last two one's, there's no info to be found about those either.
    Many thanks in advance!

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

Coniferjoy: I will ask. They are also going to introduce two selections of Picea Orientalis shortly. The plants have been in the ground for 100 - 120 years. Their Orientalis collection is among the oldest in the US and there is quite a story behind it. They have selected the two most outstanding trees from their original plantings. Spring Grove #112 is very interesting. It stands 80 ft tall and about 8 ft wide. Very vertical pendulous branching.

I saw the Pinus Korainensis "Spring Grove " on a tour last fall. It did not seem to be anything special, but when I am there I will take another look.

Coincidentally, do you know the significance of the number that is attached to the cultivar when registered? It is not a random number. I'll leave that out there a while until someone guesses right.

• kbguess
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bax,

thanks for the info. I will pass it on to my friend. He loves plant history, so I know he would be interested in anything else you can learn.

Unfortunately, I will not be attending the national meeting this year.

Sometime in the future, I would be interested in trading for scion from the broom you mention. I have a few rarer cvs that might interest you.

Keith

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

Keith: Sounds good to me. I have a few WB that I have grafted that you would most likely be happy with in trade.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Bax, thanks for your info.

I mentioned Pinus korainsis 'Spring Grove'
    which was a typo for what is Pinus koraiensis 'Spring Grove'
    I do have a nice specimen of it at my Pinetum and I think it's something special...
    By seeing this pic I hope you'll agree in this with me :0)
    Pinus koraiensis 'Spring Grove'
    {{gwi:697748}}
    There's also a Pinus koraiensis 'Spring Hill'.
    Are you familiar with this one and could it be the same one as 'Spring Grove'?

I always had in mind that numbers are not allowed in a conifer cultivar which is registered.
    I hope that they will gave all their findings a proper cultivar name.

Who renamed the Ginkgo biloba 'Spring Grove # 86' into 'Jehoshaphat'?

• harv2016
    11 years ago

I'll agree with you coniferjoy, it's a great plant

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

I don't know who renamed #22. I would like to know how a plants can be renamed after it has been registered. That seems to defeat one of the points of registration doesn't it?

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

Sorry. Meant #86 and yes I agree that your Pinus Koraiensis "Spring Grove" is very nice. I am definitely going to go back to Spring Grove and revisit theirs. Thanks for posting that picture.

• picea
    11 years ago

If you ever go to Spring Grove there is no question which spruce is the most attractive in to old age. The orientalis there are stunning. Most are branched to the ground or near so unlike other spruce there. They also have a great selection of Fagus. The old mature ginkgo and abies and cedrus are very nice and mature trees of those species are not often seen in the area.

David

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Anyone have any pix of these mature Spring Grove trees?

tj

• pastaetr
    11 years ago

Spring Grove #22 continues to show a wide variety of funky leaf shapes. I never know what will come out next. I think I'll start keeping records of particular branches to see if they reliably produce similar leaves from year to year.
    Charley Hunter

• pastaetr
    11 years ago

Here's another...

• pastaetr
    11 years ago

�.and another�.

• pastaetr
    11 years ago

and yet another from the same tree.

• hermi-of-iowa
    11 years ago

Coniferjoy
    Ginkgo biloba (Spring Grove # 86) was first found by Randy Dykstra and later regestered as Ginkgo biloba
    'Jehoshaphat' by Richard Larson from Dawes Arboretum in Ohio. I don't know where the # 86 came from. I will ask some time.
    Randy also found Picea orientalis (Spring Grove # 47),
    Pinus koraiensis 'Spring Grove',
    Abies cilicica 'Spring Grove'.

Picea orientalis (Spring Grove # 47) is now known as Picea orientalis 'Spring Grove Gem'. Randy selected # 47 from a batch of broom seedlings grown from the original broom.

• PRO
    R.E.L. Nursery
    8 years ago

To the person wanting to know what #86 (ginkgo) comes from......It's the burial plot #

• PRO
    R.E.L. Nursery
    8 years ago

The original broom was found by Matt Vehr, the curator of the cemetery. A graft was given to me 32 years ago by Matt. I have grafted it many, many times and called it #86 before Larson changed it to Jehosaphat.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions