Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taxus baccata stricta aurea vs Taxus baccata David

Posted by ingeborgdot 5b (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 0:44

Does anyone know the difference between the two? I am looking for a slender plant and this looks like an interesting plant. I am placing it in between Picea abies Tompa, Pinus mugo Jakobsen, Picea omrika TIJN, and Picea Pungens St. Marys. All of these plants will be new plants and I am just trying to get an order together but just can't make up my mind. Anyone care to give a suggestion? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taxus baccata stricta aurea vs Taxus baccata David

Taxus baccata 'Stricta Aurea' is a bad name for what is Taxus baccata 'Fastigiata Aurea'.
They differ in wideness when they are getting older, 'Fastigiata Aurea' will stey more slender at an older age.

Picea omorika 'Tijn'
Must be written as 'Peve Tijn'

Picea pungens 'St. Marys'
Must be written as
Picea pungens 'St. Mary's broom'

Please write the names as I did.

Also some good columnar forms are:
-Juniperus communis 'Compressa'
-Juniperus communis 'Sentinel'
-Taxus baccata 'Icicle'
-Taxus baccata 'Ivory Tower'

o

That was how they were written in the places I am buying them from is all. As for the stricta aurea, aside from being a bad name, is it different than the Fastigiata Aurea then? What about the David?

o

'Fastigiata Aurea' is the true name, 'Stricta Aurea' is just a synonym for it, so they're one and the same conifer.
It does a a nice slender growing habit, even when it is older.

'David' looks pretty much the same as 'Fastigiata' at a young age.
Later on it will grow wider and will have a vase shape habit which can fall appart by heavy snow.

My personal choice would be the 'Fastigiata Aurea' but the choice is yours...

o

Well, that would be my choice also. I would not want the vase shape. Thanks.

o

Edwin, I've seen fastigiate Taxus specimens wired once around their girth to prevent splaying by snow, do you have verdict on this method?

o

Severnside, I do, it's the same story as with the Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire', one single leader is the way to go...

o

I have to agree. I had to cut down my Degroots Spire because it became a weeper after this winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here