Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Globe Arborvitae - Can I Prune?

Posted by westy1941 z5 NO IL (cdwestg@att.net) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 0:47

Gold Globe Arborvitae planted around patio edge four years ago are getting too big for my taste. How do I prune ANY arborvitae for that matter - there are others that are fifteen feet tall. Can I cut them in half? I think my father - Johnny Appleseed the second - told me once it can be done but there was a proper time of year (?) or a proper way to do it. Why can't I just shear them back?

Anyone? TIA

Westy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Globe Arborvitae - Can I Prune?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 25, 12 at 3:23

You can cut back to anywhere within the green outer layer of foliage in early summer but do not cut so far back that you are looking at bare branches - these cannot be expected to recover well, if at all. Cutting in half is definitely liable to result in tops that remain mostly if not entirely bald above the level of cutting.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Fri, May 25, 12 at 6:48

Shearing is a viable option.
Can you move them further away from the patio to give them more room? Four years is not a long time in the ground and Thujas move rather easy. I had one ten feet across, a little over three meters, and moved it successfully.
Mike

o

please refer to the link.. substituting Globe Arborvitae for P sylv. ... or in the tree forum peruse the post on purple plum pruning ...

listen.. go after them.. give it a try ...

but start moving to the forefront of your mind.. that your father.. mr appleseed.. improperly planted them.. they are trees .. that eventually grew too big for the placement.. and frankly.. they have to go ...

and removal.. gives you an opportunity to do something new ... arent you tired of looking at them???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Westy, any arb can be pruned via the shearing method. This is done during the growing season and as Bboy alludes to, earlier is better than later in the summer. You want to allow a recovery period before cold, dry winds get at them.

FWIW though, arbs, unless being used in a formal sheared hedge fashion, look their best when left completely alone. And that is my opinion.

+oM

o

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'm not gonna touch them. House will be sold - if not this year, next (maybe). Someone else can look at them. Maybe the world will end on December 23rd as predicted and it won't matter anymore. :)

Westy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here