Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picea purpurea: Anyone growing this in Zone 4 or 5a?

Posted by wassercom 5a (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 1:00

A local nursery just got a shipment of these from Bizon and I'm sorely tempted to try it. It has an extremely dense, pyramidal form and produces beautiful purple cones (hence the name).

What gives me pause is the online descriptions variously rate it to either Zone 4 or Zone 5. Given that its native range is Sichuan/Gansu, China, I'm not sure how well it would handle a brutal Midwest winter like the one that just transpired.

Does anyone have experience growing P. purpurea (formerly Picea likiagensis var. purpurea) in Zone 5a or colder? Also, the online descriptions of its 10 year height range from 4 feet to 8 feet. What's your experience?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picea purpurea: Anyone growing this in Zone 4 or 5a?

Mine came through this last winter without any problems.

It sounds like the density of they plants you saw is due to the pruning at the nursery that produced it. There was a specimen at Porterhouse (ACS tour Oregon 3 years ago) that was more open than you describe.

Either way it's a fine plant that you just don't see very often.

o

The U of Minnesota Landscape Arb, which is a solid z4, has mature P. purpurea. I don't think P. likiagensis is nearly as cold hardy as purpurea.

o

Yes, but those Chinese provinces are big, and it also occurs in Quinghai province on the Tibetan plateau...500 or so miles north of the mild zn 9/10 parts of Sichuan, and a world apart in climate.

Compare Xining at 7000 ft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xining

to Chengdu at 1600 ft. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chengdu

then to Kunmimg at 6000 ft.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunming

So since it occurs on the "cold" side of those western Chinese mountains, it is very hardy.

Update: it's actually very interesting that Wuhan & Chengdu are at the same latitude, Chengdu is at a higher elevation of 1600 ft; but the record low for Chengdu is only 21F, for Wuhan it is -1F. It seems those mountains and plateaus protect the areas immediately to the south of them from the worst of the cold. That's why on the USDA zone map of China there's a big upward blip of zn 9 & 10 in the west, but the bands compress faster there, too, as you go up into the cold Tibetan plateau. Yellow on this map is 7, so since this Spruce is native to the area where Sichuan, Quinghai, and Gansu come together, it is indeed zn 5 there.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sat, May 3, 14 at 16:29

o

Thanks for the informative responses. Based on this feedback, I am going to give P. purpurea a try here in Zone 5a Chicagoland.

Here are a couple of pictures I took today at the nursery while I was scoping out my purchase:

photo PiceaPurpurea2014a_zpsdda39d31.jpg

Pushing new growth...it still thinks it's in Oregon:

photo PiceaPurpurea2014_zpsdfcf6e5e.jpg

o

If I may ask, what is the name of nursery these pictures were taken?

o

Basic: It's Red's Nursery in Northbrook, IL. They are a relatively small nursery, but they always seem to have some interesting conifers in stock.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red's Nursery

o

Thank you. We're planning on taking a long weekend trip to Chicago this summer and I'd like to check out a couple of nurseries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here