Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spartacus83

Growth of Tree Seedlings

spartacus83
9 years ago

This isn't really a problem, just something I'm more curious about. The past two seasons I've been growing trees from seed (Coast Redwood,Giant Sequoia). They don't really grow tall very fast but they get bushy, lots of little branches which is good. But whenever I buy seedlings from a nursury they are always tall and skinny with few branches. Why is this?

Comments (11)

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

The natural growth form of the vast majority of species conifers is as you describe-nearly all main stem with only minimal side branching. That is the way they are programmed-to race each other for light. So the real question is, why are your self-sown seedlings not behaving that way? And the answer is, I don't know! Are you doing something with them beyond what you've told us? It doesn't sound as though you are, but I have to ask. Otherwise, just let them be for a year or so. They'll start shooting upward soon enough, I'd think.

+oM

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

perhaps fert issues???

making them favor vegetative growth.. rather than normal???

a pic is worth a thousand words ...

my seedlings ... fall to the sand.. and grow .. i dont water.. i dont fert.. and i surely do not have them in any foo foo media ...

perhaps you are simply treating them too well ...

could any vermin be topping them for you???

ken

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Okay, what's happened, for reasons unclear, is that apical dominance, the hormonally controlled trait that most species conifers form tall plants with continued apical dominance long into their lives. So to have seedling stage plants doing that is not good, unless you are trying to create bonsai, in which case, yes, that would be perfect.

Trees like pines grow in nature in large groupings of their own and various associate's kind, beginning in stands that are far more dense than that stand will be when the forest goes through all the stages of succession and matures to climax stage, or in the case of many pine species stands, long-term seral stages-not considered exactly climax, but definitely long-lasting. So anyway, the idea is that through natural succession, those plants which shot up faster tended to win the race for light and over many years, these genetic types began to dominate the stand in terms of surviving, reproducing individuals.

I've planted perhaps 8000 seedling in the last 4 years. I'd be very discouraged if my trees were doing that, lol!

+oM

• fairfield8619
    9 years ago

Something tells me that since it has happened two years in a row that it must environmental. Are you using natural light or some type of HID? Strong light from intense artificial lights will sometimes cause that. I have had seedlings of plants hold their leaves down when placed almost to the lights, and this was fluorescent lights. Have you used any type of hormones or supplements? What has happened to them after some time growing, do they stay short?

• spartacus83
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lots of good feedback here, Thanks! Here is a photo. One of them (The taller one) I bought as a one year seedling from a nursery, and the shorter one, I grew from seed last year in seedling starter mix on my window sill. I did however plant the shorter one in potting soil mixed with pumice after about 3 months. Maybe I did that too early? Not that it bothers me, I like how it looks, I am just curious how to get taller ones growing next time.

Thanks!

• spartacus83
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second (Shorter One)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

It's fine. And a good thing. Those needles make food for the tree. Also, the foliage will shade the small trunk from harsh sun/temp. changes. If you want tall, skinny growth, put the seedlings in a shady location and fertilize them with a Urea-based fertilizer like fish emulsion. Not what I'd do, personally, but if that's what you're after, that's a good way to achieve those results.

I'd shake on a healthy dose of Osmocote or other slow-release fertilizer.

Josh

• fairfield8619
    9 years ago

Actually that's how they should look. Probably the ones you bought have been grown jammed together and then they tend to stretch, these look very good.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Maybe the nursery plants were growing in a greenhouse and yours are outside where it's cooler?
    Mike

• spartacus83
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the great feedback!!! I have several more seedlings that I've started this year so you'll probably see me on here again asking more questions.

• the_yard_guy
    9 years ago

Hello Spartacus,

I just took a photo today of a 3nd year Picea glauca (white spruce) seedling. It seems to be doing very well so far this year. Lots of new growth, both in height and side branches. This tree has been grown from seed and has never been in a greenhouse or coldframe, etc.

The photos you posted look great. Your seedlings look very healthy to me. More needles the better I say!

TYG

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio