Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jth97381

Any good name ideas for this plant?

jth97381
10 years ago

I have been watching this plant several years now. It is stable and every year continues be a little better. It is fastigiate and gold year round. The golden foliage tends to fade to green towards the end of winter, before the new growth comes back out gold again. It doesnt burn at all here in the PNW.

It was found in a field of lawoniana planted for boughs. All the seedlings were started from seed.

I have a habit of not naming plants for years. It is one of the funnest parts of finding a new plant though. My mind is drawing a blank on this plant and I need some fresh perspectives.

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana [unnamed golden fastigiate]

{{gwi:698634}}

Comments (16)

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

'Fire Spire' or 'Sun Spire'...

• jth97381
    Original Author
    10 years ago

interesting....... Its amazing how everyones mind works. I will take it into consideration. Another thing, we are expecting a new baby maybe tomorrow or the next day. Its going to be a surprise if its a boy or a girl. Cameron if its a boy, and Paisley if its a girl. I am kind of thinking for working that into the name, but I am not committed to it.

Thanks for the feed back!

• sprucebud
    10 years ago

Yes, I like "spire". I was thinking "Golden Turrets".
    Richard

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

its also a pillar .. and a column ...

so.....

Paisleys's pillar

or

cameron's column ...

ken

ps: perhaps you might not want to forget the wife ... lol ...

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Whenever I have a name cross my mind I write type it into my Word document: "Conifer Names". Here's one I haven't used:

âÂÂRapunzelâÂÂs TowerâÂÂ

See, I didn't even have to think about this. lol.

Dax

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Congratulations in advance Jason. You have been busy, and will be busier still!

One option would be to name it after the event, rather than incorporate the baby's name.

'Gold Surprise' or 'First Surprise' 'First Light' (did you say if it was your first?) 'Shining Sun' (which my 6-year old daughter would tell me is a homonym of son, so this one may be gender-dependent).

I also really like the name 'Sun Spire' suggested above.

Alex

• jth97381
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its our third. I have plants for our other two all ready. Pinus storbus 'Blue Clovers' (my daughter Chloe's nick name) and Pinus sitchensis 'Kaleb'. My wife doesnt want a plant named after her, and I dont want one after myself either.

The surprise isnt a bad idea either.

Keep them coming!

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

They say... the third ones a charm........'Golden Charm' ---'Gold Charm'.
    `AL

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Jason, thanks for your story behind the 'Blue Clovers'...

• arceesmith
    10 years ago

I vote for the charming, 'Golden Charm' - all the other suggestions are very good, but to me, this one captures it.

Congrats on the new (any moment now) baby!

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

lol Jason,,,,,Just dont name it 'Pampers'.....lol

• jth97381
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is what I love about asking lots of people about names. I never would of thought about some of these suggestions. There are some very diverse ideas.

Al, good idea on the Golden Charm, goes along with the story. And no, Pampers is a bad Idea.

Dax, good name, but save it for when you find the perfect plant to go along with it.

Edwin, Blue Clovers was found in a seed bed as a 3-year old seedling. I spoted it from about 10' feet away. Just happend to be walking down that row. It had the curlyest, bluest needles I had ever seen.

Ken, those are good suggestions as well.

I hope to hear more ideas. I cant really make a decesion until I find out if its a boy or a girl.

Thanks for all the kind words. We should do this again the next time I need a name. Most know I have a few that arent named yet. And I must appologize to all who have plants with descritions and provisional names, instead of a proper cultivar name. I cant really put a name on a plant until I know it meets my seal of approval. This can take years sometimes for me to really evaluate.

Keep the names coming!

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

Beauty of a plant Jason, I'll go with 'Solar Flair'.

Hope to grow this someday soon! :D

-Will

• jth97381
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will, Another excellent idea for a name. I Never would of come up with that on my own.

I recently had some more help naming another plant. I think I will start another thread introducing the plant, its name and credit the person who had idea for its name.

• arceesmith
    10 years ago

Interesting play on words - I like 'Solar Flair' too. Creative thinking, Will. :^)

• sluice
    10 years ago

Fantastic plant!

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area