Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeytreeboy15

Grafting Success!

monkeytreeboy15
10 years ago

Many of the new plants we grafted this year are beginning to grow.

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Mt. Angel Blue' (a witch's broom with many cones found at a golf course by Stephanie Krieg)
{{gwi:698964}}

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Albers Elegant Weeping' (a narrow, weeping tree I found in Gig Harbor, WA & named for the author of a new book--"Gardening for Sustainability"--& owner/curator of Albers Vista Gardens in Washington.)
{{gwi:698965}}

Sequoia sempervirens 'Wilsonville Gold' (A propagation from a large golden branch on a tree in Wilsonville, Oregon.)
{{gwi:698966}}

More to come!

-Sam

Comments (17)

• sprucebud
    10 years ago

Interesting selections. I particularly like the sound and look of the Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Albers Elegant Weeping'
    Richard

• Simoni
    10 years ago

Super Sam!
    L+M S

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Good work, Sam!
    You can be proud to your new selections!

• gardener365
    10 years ago

swizzle!

Dax

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Very nice...can't wait to see more.

Alex

• arceesmith
    10 years ago

This is great - good job Sam.

Cone Heads: The Next Generation.

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone!

Two more to share (at least off the top of my head)

Picea abies 'Stephanie's Green Golf Ball' (another broom found by Stephanie Krieg at a local golf course; lime-green new growth)
    {{gwi:698967}}

Pinus nigra 'Chemeketa' (a witch's broom I found on my first day of class at Chemeketa Community College; quite slow-growing with thick, dark-green needles)
    {{gwi:698968}}
    {{gwi:698969}}

-Sam

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

Awesome Sam. A hundred years from now hopefully there is literature showing these fine plants stating that these 'mother plants' were grown and introduced by Sam Pratt/Rare Tree nurseries in 2013. :)

-WIll

• sluice
    10 years ago

Congrats Sam, and to Stephanie!

They all look great.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Sam, also the other two are nice one's!

I think do don't gotta mess with Stephanie.
    Her family name is Krieg, which is German for war... :0)

• jth97381
    10 years ago

Did you get a chance to try your hand at grafting this year? Its kind of therapeutic.........until you do it everyday for 4 months.

Cant wait to see how those grafts look in a few years. Hopefully they are as nice as their parent plants.

I am particularly excited about the sempervirens. How large of a branch on the mother tree was gold and was there any burning? Did it look a little slower than the rest of the tree because of a lack of chlorophyll? If it looked the same as the rest of the tree, when grafted on its own I wonder if it will become a little slower... kind of the dream.

Nice finds

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will, I too hope to one day be a "published plant author!"

Edwin, contrary to Stephanie's family's name, she's quite kind and peaceable. :-)

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Jason, I have grafted for a couple of years, but I leave the majority to the pros: They are much faster.
    The link below will send you to the original forum post where you can see more on the 'Wilsonville Gold'.
    I didn't see any burning, and I couldn't see a significant difference in rate of growth, either.

-Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Sequoia sempervirens 'Wilsonville Gold'

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

Out of curiosity, what sort of quantities were grafted, Sam? I seem to recall a picture of many grafts at some time.

I quite like the nigra broom.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

Wow Sam, The varietys you come across are awesome! And theres a certain glow in your print when you mention Stephanie! Just sayin.....;-)...lol

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We don't have very many of any of these selections.
    The redwood is incredibly difficult to propagate.
    The Pinus nigra broom was very small, so not too much wood there, either.
    Due to the narrow structure of 'Albers Elegant Weeping', not much scion-wood could be obtained for propagation.
    We grafted a fair number of each of Stephanie's brooms with good success, however.

By and large, these cultivars will be difficult to find for several years still!

-Sam

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Al. I always keep an eye out for the unusual!
    And I'm surprised you picked up on that! ;-)

-Sam

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more plant.
    Grafted courtesy of Eric Bizon:

Thuja plicata 'Yellow Freckles' (a variegated branch I found on a Thuja plicata 'Stoneham Gold')
    {{gwi:698970}}

-Sam

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths