Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
random_treelore

Introduction/ broom

Random_Treelore
10 years ago

Hi Everyone-

I'm a plant nerd from the Portland, OR area. I've read people's posts and checked out pics of people's brooms off and on for a while now. I'm also a broom hunter, and I have had some success with propagating them. I've had some trouble with Pinus contorta var latifolia and Abies lasciocarpa, though.

I'm attaching a pic of an Abies lasciocarpa broom that I found in WA several years ago. I've repeatedly tried to propagate it, but it is really hard to get to. (In the pic, you can see previous damage from shot gun blasts.)

I've had to rent/borrow snowmobiles and then wade through chest-deep powder to get to the tree. This last winter I grafted up 30 of them, and only one of them looks like it might live. Normally I have a little better survival rate that that... Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Like many of you, I also have a Cathaya and a Wollemia. You have to love those living fossils :)

Anyhow, I'm glad that this forum exists, and I look forward to reading what you guys post.

Comments (13)

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

The broom has a very nice shape!
    Maybe you have to spread some scions to other grafters as well.
    Then the grafting result could be better, because everybody has his own experiences and skils...
    Good luck for next time!

Any chance to see a pic of your succesful grafted one of this broom?

• Simoni
    10 years ago

Congratulations to interesting finding with conical shape .... sometime it is not easy get scions of the original WB, we a well known. Sometimes it's a great adventure.
    Adventure is also grow a new plant.
    The best is yet feeling, then have it in the garden.
    L+M S

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Killer broom. Next time you have scions I'd like to graft them and share them around with other friends that graft, also.

Nice to have you around.

Dax

• Random_Treelore
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a pic. The stock is Abies lasciocarpa as well (I tried 10 A. grandis and 20 A. lasciocarpa)

This one still looks dubious to me. The stock is just starting to break bud, but no sign of growth on the scion yet. I figure that I should know soon enough :S

I sure hope it takes- I'm not sure if I'm really up for another grueling adventure like that. If I do, though, I'll make sure to spread the scions around so everyone can have a crack at it.

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Random,are you climbing that tall thing on your winter visits?Monkeytreeboy and I are working on some broom retrieval ideas that take a lot of the thrill factor out of icey
    high climbs.I know some will consider my plans
    cowardly and not playing by the "rules"but let me assure you the trees don't know this and its way easier grafting
    while not wearing a full body cast.Doug
    Oh yes,that is a nicely shaped broom ,maybe a tall and narrow one.

• arceesmith
    10 years ago

Hey, nice find - I do hope you have success and I agree with what has been said - share those scions!

I hope you connect with our other local (Portland area) broom hunters here - could be a very exciting 2014 grafting season. :^)

• Random_Treelore
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For remote brooms like this, my retrieval tool of choice is a 12 gauge shot gun. Just getting to that tree is an ordeal that is difficult to describe. There would be no way that I'd have the stamina to climb it after climbing *to* it :)

• sluice
    10 years ago

Nice find! Hope you can get a plant going, much easier to collect scions from a tree growing in your back yard! At what elevation is that broom?

It looks unusual to me to see the understock cut like that. Is that something you do for all your grafts?

• gardener365
    10 years ago

You should have a full length understock-seedling, however, I've had stuff happen where I've grated on individuals exactly like that.

You have plenty of time. Neither the understock or scion may break this year (and still be fine)... or a combination of either or.
    I've waited two seasons sometimes for a graft to to finally break and grow. With as little energy that your understock now has, it just may take a year for something to happen, so caution to the safe side and just keep it alive, if so....

Dax

• Random_Treelore
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A few years ago, I started cutting back a small percentage of my rootstocks as they started to push growth, hoping that more would be pushed into the scion. It seemed to work, though I haven't done careful trials to see if it is actually helping. In this case, the only one to survive (or at least keep its needles) was the one that I cut back the shortest.

Dax, I'll make sure to keep all of the stocks around for a year or two, just in case some of the other ones grow.

• sluice
    10 years ago

Thanks, that's interesting information on the understock.

• gardener365
    10 years ago

It's (still) the other way around. More = more energy to the scion.

Dax

• Random_Treelore
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I wasn't recommending that as a technique- it was just something I was messing around with. If I'd known that I'd only get one out of 30 to survive, I would have been much more conservative in my experimentation :P