Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Looking for 20-25h 3-8w fast growing screen Ideas

Posted by Grizzly700 pa (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 5:55

Hello again forum, first thanks again to Dax for the Hetz wintergreen I am considering. The only problem is availability. Here is my situation in PA I have about 10 feet to work with and do no want a huge tree. I am looking for something fast growing,full, 3-8 feet wide and 20 to 25 feet high. I was looking at Hetz, nellie stevens holly, Steeplechase, Pyramidalis, Thuja Hoyt Splendor, and of course Green Giants. AS far as green giants if planted 6 feet apart how wide and tall do they get? ..Please help and ideas welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Looking for 20-25h 3-8w fast growing screen Ideas

green giants can exceed the 8 foot width within 5 years ... depending on size at planting

their height is unlimited .. given enough time

ken

o

The description sounds like arbs also some could wind up somewhat larger, especially as they attain great age.

for the life of me i have a hard time differenting the varieties brandon and rushmore. hetz wintergreen has a slightly broader growth habit, but they are young they are very much like the others. rate of growth of all three is as fast as you'll find in arbs (t. occidentalis). all have the same primary claim to fame, resistance
to winterburn.

o

The Nellie Stevens Holly has worked well for us down here for an under 20' screen. Has proved to be fairly drought-resistant also.
Techny Arborvita looks good. We're too hot for it down here, but it should be right for your area. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here